How do you share activity with managers?

Sam Becker January 16, 2021

How do you share your activity with managers easily? 

I'd like to just email the activity stream to my manager automatically on a daily basis, but this doesn't seem possible. Does anyone have another solution? 

I don't understand why this is so hard. We moved from Salesforce Case management system where  I could easily send a report out on a daily basis of all comments made on cases and I convinced our manager to let us switch over to Jira as it is way easier for me to manage projects, but seems much harder to just share our daily activity with our manager.

Please advise, 

Thank you,

Sam

3 answers

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 16, 2021

My preference is to go with a Dashboard. However the most important point is to talk to the audience and understand what is important to them. Then construct a Dashboard that hopefully meets their needs if not actually delights them 

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 16, 2021

This is an interesting question.

There is a very short answer which is "automate something that sends activity logs to a manager", but as a consultant, that feels simply wrong.  It's too simple, it's not built into the software probably for a good reason, and the last time I worked in a place that looked at my activity that closely, I utterly hated the working environment.

Why do you thin you need a daily report of a person's work?  Are you not hiring people who try to do the best they can?  Why is that level of monitoring desirable?  I manage a team of 9 people and I don't give a **** what they do day-to-day as long as they deliver.  They would become a lot less effective if they had to report at this level.

So start by asking why these numbers matter.  Do they?  Really?

Sam Becker January 16, 2021

I agree with you. I don't think it's necessary and I personally would not find it useful. But this manager has no IT or developer experience and is trying to learn more about what we actually do. It started when I made the move from employee to part-time contractor to understand the time requirements of certain tasks and is now something that they are used to. 

I can just send it manually but would be nice to share my system dashboard with them in a daily email so I don't have to. However, I've set my dashboard to public but it shows up blank when logged out. If I could figure out how to fix that, then I could share it in an email easier.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 17, 2021

I'd point out that if someone thinks they need this sort of report, they aren't part of the team, don't know what the team is doing it aren't using the tools the team are, and hence isn't really the manager of the team.  (which then means they doesn't actually need the report)

Best bet is to include them in the team properly, and that means making them a Jira user, then you can share the dashboard with them (it's empty when logged out because your Jira is set to not show issues to non-users)

0 votes
Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 16, 2021

Hi @Sam Becker ,

I remember a number of years ago I had to report daily because they were billing those hours to our customer, but I'm not sure what your situation is. In any case, I agree that you need to ask your manager(s) what information they need.  I like the dashboard  idea, or maybe you can provide them with a list of Jira tickets and for that you can create a filter to which they can subscribe for a daily report.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events