How do you set a default time zone for a Jira Cloud instance?

Kathy Hart
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 29, 2017

When working with a Sprint, the days left keeps changing in the middle of the day. I assume this is because it is using an Australia time zone to calculate the Days left in the sprint. Since we are working on Central USA time, it is changing the sprint days left in the middle of the day. 

I thought I had changed it, but apparently I only did it for me, not for our collective Jira Cloud instance. 

Anybody know a way we can do that? 

2 answers

0 votes
Tiffany J February 4, 2022

Settings> Jira Settings> System> General Configuration> Time Zone

0 votes
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 29, 2017

Admin, System, Settings, Default user time zone

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 29, 2017

But if users have set their own time zone that won't change it

Kathy Hart
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 29, 2017

I agree. I have a default user time zone set for our instance, but that has not fixed the problem with the Sprint timer. 

Kathy Hart
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 6, 2017

I even have the Board time zone set as Chicago, (Central USA), but that has not fixed the problem either. 

Eric Sod April 24, 2018

We're in New York and all our release dates are a day ahead. Our Default user time zone is New York. Is this problem because Atlassian is in Australia?

Kathy Hart
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 24, 2018

I believe I found another place to put the update in, but now I don't remember. I will try to recreate and update this chain with what fixed it for us. 

Eric Sod April 24, 2018

That would be great. Thanks!

Kathy Hart
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 30, 2018

The only places I have found to update the Default time are: 

Your Profile

Default User Time Zone (in General Configuration) 

Scrum or Kanban Board Setting in the Working Days menu. 

I think the number of days left in my Sprint are still changing at midday, but that may be more of a rounding issue, as in, it doesn't count the day anymore once half of it has passed. 

Carlton McFarlane September 25, 2019

I was struggling with this for a while - my sprint timezone was showing an Asian timezone despite the fact that it was correctly set as a European timezone in the above places.

My partner managed to stumble across this 'personal settings' page linked to our Cloud instance: https://yourdomain.atlassian.net/secure/ViewPersonalSettings.jspa

...where 'yourdomain' is replaced, obvs. Hope that helps someone! :)

Anuradha Das October 21, 2019

I have done the global setting a couple of times to PST but again it goes back to Asia time. Checked this , https://yourdomain.atlassian.net/secure/ViewPersonalSettings.jspa, t shows PST now but I have changes the PST to global just now. I do not think issue is resolved. I have done admin time setting before but it keeps going back.

Suggest an answer