How do you restrict the ability to create labels to a specific group of users?

Logan G Hawkes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 27, 2012

I have a large number of test cases in Jira that are tagged with various labels. Many of the labels are redundant, as they are either the same word misspelled (Acceptance, Acceptence, Accepence, Aceptance, Aceptence) or a variation on another label (collector, collectors, datacollectors, data_collector). I'd like to restrict the ability to create new labels to a specific user or set of users, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do it.

So far the best solution I've come up with is to create a set of "correct" labels and hope that people will use the auto-suggested label. This has not proved successful. Today I found that a user has been labeling test cases with the IP of the server used for testing (as opposed to the "Test Environment" field). Just to add to the fun, she used commas instead of decimal points at random: "172.17,10,1", "172,17.10,1", etc.

Does anyone have any ideas for imposing order on the situation?

4 answers

0 votes
Abraham Collier (US - Advisory) November 22, 2016

@Renjith Pillai, if you're still on here, I'm not sure I understand your answer here or below. Do you know if Atlassian has come up with any way to allow administrators to limit the number and/or names of labels within an enterprise's Confluence pages?

0 votes
Loredana January 30, 2013

I have the same issue with label-type fields and am looking for a possibility of restricting it to the project role. So far no idea how.

Any ideas? Thank you for the help!

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 2, 2013

Thoughts:

1. Create a transition for your workflows (global) which says 'Change Labels' and protect that transition only the project role. Use a screen which has just the label field.
  2. Created a scripted field that shows the values from the label field so that you can use that in the View issue screen and remove the actual label field from the View issue screen.
Loredana February 4, 2013

Thank you Renjith for your suggestions.
I'm not quite sure what do you mean by "a scripted field that shows the values from the label field". How can I create such a field? You mean to be able to just see the label field on the View issue screen, but only static, so that nobody else can edit it...?
Many thanks!
Loredana
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 4, 2013

Sorry missed to add the link in the previous comment. The scripted field comes from Jamie - https://jamieechlin.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GRV/Script+Runner

Martin von Arx May 26, 2014

Hi,

I have done the 2 steps you have described on Feb 03 '13.

But now I have the problem to write the correct script to show the contents of the label field on a transition. So that the jira-users can choose several items of the list and add to an issue.

How do I have to write that script?

Regards

Martin

0 votes
Logan G Hawkes
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 27, 2012

Sadly, I'm trying to avoid using a multi-select, as I need a large set of identifying tags. I've been trying out the MDSF plugin so I can use more than two levels of cascading selects, but it has its own limitations.

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 27, 2012

Labels are something which is usually left to the discretion of the users to decide the right content. But if you need to restrict, may be just you a Multi Select custom field and call it Labels.

Suggest an answer