How do you re-assign a subtask to a different story?

Keeping the same sub-tasks, need to create new story for the subtask to live under w/o deleting and re-creating the story.

3 answers

1 accepted

Hi Bruce,

You can simply "move" the sub-tasks to a new parent/Story. In each of the sub-tasks, go to more actions > move, then select change parent.

Hope it helps,

Hi, thank you. I looked at what I was dealing with and the item is listed as a task and not a subtask, so I'll rephrase my question: How does one turn a task into a subtask and assign a parent task?

Bruce, that's really simple. Create the parent first (if you don't have it yet), then open the task, click on more actions > convert to sub-task. You'll be prompet to a screen where you'll be able to select the parent for that subtask, and it's done. :)

There is no ""move" menu in my Jira, and therefore no "change parent".

What permission is required, or... if the methodology has changed, how is it done now (Septemeber, 2017)?

Same here as Wayne Erfling. Has this feature been removed?

Hi !

I try to move a sub-task to another parent, but an error occurs:
"Subtasks cannot be moved".

It is a configuration? Any help ... 

Do you have create, move and edit permission in both the source and target projects?  (I say "Projects" to cover the assumption that you're trying to move from one project to another with this move)

Hi Nic,

I trying to perform this in same project, just from an issue to another.

I think you'll need to read the log file for the time you get the message.

I want to do this as well. I created tasks first and want to assign to a parent. However I dont see "convert to sub-task" under more actions. Is that configurable or something?

0 vote

Hi all,

I found an alternative.

1. Select the sub-task and choose 'Convert to issue'

2. Select the category 'Unclassified' while converting

3. Now the item is independent and you can convert to sub-task and map whichever story you want.

Hope this help.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Bridget Sauer
Published Mar 09, 2018 in Jira Service Desk

E.L. Fridge's take on education, Jira Service Desk, and creative Jira use cases

...word of mouth, so by 2016, we were working with several other entities on campus to implement Jira Service Desk . The Atlassian motto of “for every team” has really come true for us in this case. We...

357 views 0 9
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot