How do you prevent users transitioning issues with no time logged?

Connor Gamble November 26, 2020

Hello,

I am currently looking to improve my Jira reporting, but the data I am getting out of Jira is pretty poor due to a lack of time being logged on Jira issues.

We are using Harvest as our main PM tool for logging time and are using the integration that logs time in Jira & Harvest, although some users do log only in Harvest which I want to discourage.

I would like to add a condition to my workflow whereby users can't transition issue from statuses/columns until there is work logged on the issue.

I have tried to do this with both conditions & validators in the workflow without success. The closest I have got is for all issues being unable to move stages with and without time logged so I'm clearly close but going wrong somewhere.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Cheers,

Connor

3 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Szabolcs Kiss
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 26, 2020

I would create a new screen with "Log Work" field on it. Attach this screen to the transition and set the "Field Required Validator" with "Time Spent" as required. 

1 vote
Answer accepted
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 26, 2020

You need to add "Validators" in your workflow step.  Make sure that you have a screen with the time tracking field on it so they can enter their time.

Please check https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/advanced-workflow-configuration-776636620.html#Advancedworkflowconfiguration-validators

You will need to select 'Field Required Validator' and then select the appropriate field in the next screen.

0 votes
Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 26, 2020

Forcing people to log time can lead to the creation of worklogs but do not necessary result in accurate results.

Getting accurate timesheets is a challenge we at TechTime know well. After many attempts at gamification, persuasion by meme, and constant nagging we developed an app which is now available on the Atlassian Marketplace.

Our product EasyTime for Jira is available on Cloud – it allows your team to track time instantly, automatically and accurately. EasyTime for Jira records time based on the events (view the issue, leave a comment, close/resolve the issue) that users naturally generate while working, they don't have to do anything extra.

Please do take a look. Reach out to our 24x7 support via Service Desk or the chat widget on our website if required.

Suggest an answer