How do you prevent a Jira Workflow transition if no one is assigned to the issue?

Charles Fleck September 12, 2019

I am working on creating a custom workflow in Jira. Our first state is ASSESSMENT and that transfers to the ASSIGNED state. There are a few things that have to be done during the ASSESSMENT state before we should transfer to the ASSIGNED state, one of which is assigning the issue to someone. Is it possible to prevent someone from transitioning to the ASSIGNED state unless there is someone assigned to the issue? If so, how is that done?

Thank you!

Charles

1 answer

1 vote
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 12, 2019

I always put a workflow condition on every transition that only the assignee can execute the transition. 

Charles Fleck September 12, 2019

I think we could possibly make that work, but I think it would have to be a little more complicated. We were hoping to have the Project Manager transition the issues even though they weren't the ones assigned the issue, so we would have to grant them permissions too and hope they don't mess up. It looks like there is a way to possibly do this using the transition properties that would be a little more convenient for us, but I'm struggling to figure out how those work and if they even do what I think they do.

Thanks again!

Charles

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 13, 2019

you can add more than one role. I often include the project admin to the allowed list. It is for when the assignee is on leave or left the company so the project admin can move the issue if they want. Normally they just assign it to the replacement user. 

Charles Fleck September 13, 2019

But if we give our Project Managers permissions to change states, they will be able to do it when it is unassigned. Our hope is that the PM is able to manage the Jira transitions even though it is assigned to the engineer working on the issue. We were trying to prevent the PM from changing the state until the engineer was assigned.

Charles Fleck September 13, 2019

Update: I got it working! It was actually a validator that I needed to add to the transition. There's an option for validators that allows you to not execute a transition unless it is assigned to someone.

Pavel Rusakov February 2, 2022

@Charles Fleck what the validator do you use ?

Suggest an answer