How do you monitor your Jira/Confluence Notifications?

Mario Carabelli
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 8, 2019

My firm uses Jira/ Jira Service Desk and Confluence (on Server/Data Center) extensively.

Lately we experienced a few problems (full mail server, bad start-up flags on restart)  which lead to massive delays in the internal communication because everyone relies on notifications actually getting delivered.

We solved this problems as they appeared but want to set up a monitoring for the notifications.

Has anyone here implemented something like this before and could give us any tips and/or lessons learned?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mario Carabelli
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2019

For Jira we discovered yesterday that you can use the REST-API to send notifications and it gives you error-codes back if something goes wrong in this chain. This way we can run a python script periodically which calls this API and monitor the return values. If it returns an Errocode we can send an Mail with another smtp-server to the admins that there is an issue with notifications.

How to check confluence notifications is a work in Progress.

I just wanted to share our solution in case it helps someone out there. Any other suggestions are welcome ofcourse because we clearly are improvising here.

Best Regards
Mario

0 votes
Josh loe
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 8, 2019

Mario,

The only thing I can think of is to use a 3rd party email server for your JIRA notifications.  Email is the primary way of notifying users of updates so if there is an issue with an email server, then you'll run into the problems you've seen. 

One thing you could also do is navigate to:
https://yourinstance/home/notifications 

** Please note I am not sure if that works in JIRA Server ** 

Cloud does provide notifications using that link.

- Josh Loe

Mario Carabelli
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 9, 2019

Hi Josh,

thanks for the answer.

The mentioned feature is cloud only, but there are extra menu tabs for outgoing mail notifications. You need to check this manually though.

We have an extra smtp server the problem is how to monitor the notifiaction chain jira/confluence -> smtp-server-> user.

Suggest an answer