It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How do you make a new custom field available for editing in the 'new' view?

I have created a basic custom field (A label) which is empty by default.

When assigned a ticket on the old view, I would have to go into the edit screen first to give the field a value before it will appear on the main ticket. Which is a pain but I can understand why that is.

However in the new view, since my custom field does not have a value, it does not appear anywhere on the screen, same as the old view.  The problem is that the new view does not have an edit screen. As a result I am unable to give this field a value unless I go back to the old view. Once I give it a value the field will appear just fine in the new view.

Is there a way to make this empty custom field appear in the new view? Or is the only solution to default the value to something so that it will always appear.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
DPK J Community Leader Sep 15, 2019

@Ben CudarsI went on to configure fields from this view (this is visible on top-right corner of screen in new view)

Screenshot 2019-09-16 at 12.15.26 PM.png

After adding field from that config, I have empty label field available as follow on issue right context.

Screenshot 2019-09-16 at 12.16.09 PM.png

Wow, can't believe I missed something that simple. Thanks a ton for your answer.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira

Demo Den Ep. 7: New Jira Cloud Reports

Learn how to use two new reports for next-gen projects in Jira Cloud:  Cumulative flow diagram and Sprint burndown chart. Ivan Teong, Product Manager, Jira Software, demos the Cumulative ...

314 views 1 3
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you