How do you handle soft delete of JIRA issues

Shirley Jhirad August 21, 2016

HI all,

As this option doesn't exist i would like to advise and hear ideas from people that found workaround for this need.

In many cases we do not want to allow users the permission to delete.

What i do in most cases is set a status & Resolution that the issue moves to if the user would like to delete an issue. In the agile boards i update the board filter will not include issue in 'status\resolution=Removed'

Would love to hear other people thoughts about this and hear other solutions you found usefull smile

Thank you!

Shirley

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 21, 2016

I've seen several options, but the basic ones that work ok (sometimes combined) are

• Setting a security level that hides the issue
  • Moving issues into a "wastebin" project
  • As you suggest, a "ignore me" status and resolution in the workflow

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 22, 2016

Setting the security level is my favorite.

Shirley Jhirad August 31, 2016

Thanks!

Can you explain a littlebit on how you set the security level ? on what conditions?

I Would truely like to setup a security level but i'm not sure how to work with it.

I want to maintain the deleted status and use a security level to hide these issues, not sure how can i achieve both

Thanks again

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 31, 2016

Actually, using both is probably slightly easier and neater.

First, you have status in the workflow for "deleted".  You probably want a transition into it from all other status, and then a transition out, back to early on in the lifecycle of the issue.

With the security level, you can define a scheme that has a single line saying something like "project administrators are the only ones who can see this issue when the security level is set to 'deleted'".  As you're using a workflow to the deleted status, you can use a post-function to set the security level to 'deleted' automatically as the user uses the transition, and another one to remove it when "undeleting"

Surya Saripalli September 4, 2018

the above solution doesnt work. So can i please know what i am missing. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 4, 2018

I think you need to explain what you mean by "doesn't work", because it works perfectly in the places I've seen it implemented.

Surya Saripalli September 5, 2018

i tried to implement this feature in subtask

Surya Saripalli September 5, 2018

we have a subtask that i would like to hide using the issue security scheme. According to my understanding the subtask inherits the security level of its parent. So when i have assigned the issue security scheme on the subtask it does not hide from the board. 

My implementation : Created issue security scheme and assigned it to role project-administrators

Created a workflow state deleted and added a post function to assign it to new issue security scheme i created

and I still see it on my board. 

So i assume its the subtask that is causing the issue. Please do let me know

Surya Sonal Saripalli September 6, 2018

we have to assign issue security in project settings for this to occur...this was the step i missed due to which i could not get the issue security scheme working. It now works fine

2 votes
Hemant
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 21, 2016

Hi Shirley,

I think, the way you done is correct workaround, there is no such option for soft delete in JIRA smile 

Thanks,

Hemant

Suggest an answer