How do you handle multiple requests within one request?

Lindsay Siurna September 8, 2019

Hi, 

I am using JIRA Service Desk Cloud and am looking for best practices for handling "umbrella" tickets.  For example when onboarding a new user, this would spawn multiple tickets (i.e. new account, new workstation, new key etc).  How can this be handled?  Is it one general onboarding request with subtasks?  Can you automate the creation of subtasks?

What about for new software?  Should you have a request to purchase the software and then another request for the installation once the initial software request gets approved?  Would this be considered 2 request types or one request type with a subtask for the install?

Thanks,
Lindsay

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Laura Campbell _Seibert Media_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 9, 2019

Hi @Lindsay Siurna

You might find an app from the Marketplace can help you streamline the processes. I work for Elements, which makes Elements Copy & Sync and we have a tutorial for how to automate subtask creation for employee onboarding.

There might be other apps that can help you as well, but I recommend ours 😉

0 votes
Answer accepted
Milan Chheda [INFOSYSTA]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 8, 2019

To answer your first question, I would go with Sub-Tasks. So I would create an issuetype named 'Onboarding'. Whenever a new issue is created, using the post-functions, I would automatically subsequent sub-tasks (new account, workstation, etc.). This would give us the flexibility to assign sub-tasks to different departments, different people. For example, new account creation might be done by Account Management Team, whereas workstation would require procurement or IT team. 

Also, we can add a post-function where the on-boarding would be auto-marked completed once all sub-tasks are completed. 

For your second question, about new software. I would follow a similar strategy where I will break-down them into multiple sub-tasks or into multiple issues having same component or labels. Its important to have different issues for each activity that is performed, as it will give us detailed picture later on, to understand where our roadblocks are, where optimizations are needed, where process improvements can be made, what takes longer, etc. 

Lindsay Siurna September 9, 2019

Thank you for your response.  I am new to JIRA and do not know what post functions are.  Is this something I can do myself or do I need an extension?

Milan Chheda [INFOSYSTA]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 9, 2019

As JIRA Administrator, you can modify the workflows. You can read about Workflow configuration on below link, that talks about Post Functions too: 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/advanced-workflow-configuration-776636620.html

Lindsay Siurna September 11, 2019

Just so everyone reading this know - you can create subtasks automatically without an extension.

John Hammond April 12, 2022

In this scenario, using sub-tasks for an onboarding request, how would you handle the email notifications? Would you send an email notification to the requestor for every sub-task? As I understand it, you cannot control email notifications per issue. Seems like a not of email notification noise to me. Thanks!

Suggest an answer