How do you give a jira user access to just one project? Edited

This is driving me mad. 

We have one client and we need to give them access to one project only. They need to be able to create, edit, comment etc on that one project. i.e. they will have full access to that project but no others. i.e. not even see our other projects.

I have followed multiple tutorials / posts in the community but none seem to work. Is there a simple guide to do this?

At the moment we have

1. Created the users - they are in the default group "jira-users"

2. Created a group "Project A"

3. Added the users to the group "Project A" so they are in 2 groups "jira-users" and "Project A"

4. Created the project

I have removed all permission schemes / roles etc that I had created in previous attempts to leave a "clean" installation.

--

They currently have access to all projects though. What are the next steps to limit their access to just one project?

We have Jira cloud

1 answer

0 vote
Thomas Schlegel Community Champion Aug 18, 2017

Hi Richard,

I think, all your other projects have permissions based on the group "jira-users". That is why your client is seeing all of them.

The problem is, that jira-users is a basic group. It is used in general for the basic permissions, such as login etc.

You have to create a new group for your internal users. Do not add your client's people to that group! Let's call it "internal" here.

Then create a new permission scheme as a copy of your existing permission scheme, name it e.g. "all except client x".

Then replace every occurence of "jira-users" with your new group "internal" in the new permission scheme "all except client x".

After that, add this permission scheme to all projects that client x should not see.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,203 views 13 19
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot