How do you create a group for notifications

jcho@subcom.com June 19, 2018

I would like to add a new group in the selection option for adding in people to be notified. How can I add a new group and also add in the people for that specific group?

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 19, 2018

You can add a JIRA group to the notification scheme. Groups need to be created and managed by a JIRA administrator. 

Dilan Kaplan July 4, 2019

@Joe Pitt 

Hi there, I was hoping that you may be able to give a hand on an issue im facing?

Ive set up a hierarchical approval scheme on Jira using conditions and hidden states in a single column, however, the speed of the process can be improved if I am able to enable a notification scheme for each transition of the approval

Is this possible? If so, any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated

Thankyou

Dilan

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 5, 2019

notifications are driven by notification events fired in the post processing of the transition. You can create custom events and replace the notification in the transition with your custom event. Custom events are automatically added to the notification scheme so you can add the needed group/users to that custom event notification. 

You need to be a JIRA admin to add events and update notification scheme. The documentation for adding events is clear. 

Dilan Kaplan July 8, 2019

@Joe Pitt ,

Yes, the documentation has been very clear on how to create this process, however, I have around 8 separate user groups that are dependant on departments and document types. I have noted every possible instance in which a notification must be sent and it appears that I must create custom events for each possible notification instance? Is that right? or am I over-complicating this?

Thanks again for your time 

Best,

DK

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 8, 2019

Yes, If you want different groups notified for each transition. 

Like Dilan Kaplan likes this
Dilan Kaplan July 8, 2019

Thank-you.

John Nguyen May 27, 2020

Hi all

I created a group notification and add all existing users to the notification group.  Everything works just fine... but now I want to add a new user to the existing notification stop bu I'm not able to find the notification group file....arg.. :-) .  Would you tell me how to get to the notification group file?

Thanks

John Nguyen

Dilan Kaplan December 3, 2020

Hi @John Nguyen 

I was faced with the same issue, but I went directly to the user groups. 

As I set particular user groups for the notifications, I just added members into the User Group and then I didn't have to play around with the notification rules. That should do the trick.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Victor Mutambuki
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 19, 2018

Jcho,

Go to Project Settings ->Notifications ->Edit Notifications ->add the group in mind.

If the group isn't created and you're not a JIRA admin, please have your JIRA admin create the group and populate it.

Victor

Nick August 17, 2021

This should not be marked as correct as it does not answer the question in any way.

Like Jana Schumann likes this

Suggest an answer