How do you convert or promote a next GEN sub-task to a task?

Nick June 13, 2019

Due to some of the limitations around sub-tasks and multiple boards we are finding it necessary to create epic stories, basically Epics with "story" label, that have tasks as their children (subtask), so that we can more easily assign task to multiple users and still manage them within a sprint as necessary leaving subtasks to only be used if an individual wants to use them to break their task into smaller parts. Essentially subtask would only ever then be assigned to the task owner since they fly under the radar from a high level management perspective.

With that said it would be nice if we Stories had an Epic like quality to them that distinguished themselves from a task. That way Epic's could still remain project/phase like issues that encompass a grouping of stories and task.

4 answers

4 votes
Timo Triisa March 27, 2020

It's an old question, but still pops up from Google.

You can use Bulk Move. Open subtask, there is "Move" option in three dots submenu.
Set destination project to same as your source. Change destination type to "Story"

Capture0.PNG

2 votes
Rebecca Hellström Karlsson September 11, 2019

Same - I currently want to convert some sub-tasks that I realized should be their own tasks.

2 votes
Thomas Matthias July 17, 2019

This is a pretty broken aspect of next-gen projects.  During backlog review, it's annoying to have numerous issues open, easier to create a user-story, then when it becomes apparent that the total sub-tasks require the story to be split into multiple stories across sprints, the sub-tasks should be promotable so that I don't have to recreate them as new stories.

Vanessa Chatarjee August 11, 2021

I agree and I'm having the same issue in my next-gen project. It's much easier if they can enable the same flexibility on the subtasks as below, on the board and also on the backlog.

Change Issue Type.JPG

1 vote
Stephanie Allen June 26, 2019

I have the same question in next-gen. We've created sub-tasks that, as they evolve, should become their own tasks/issues. But I cannot find a way to convert a sub-task to a task, which I thought was available in Jira prior to next-gen. I've tried to use the"Move" feature, but I get a 500 - Internal server error. And I tried to use "Change Parent" but I cannot select the epic as a parent. I'm not sure how else to break it out except to re-create it.

Suggest an answer