How do you configure JIRA to receive system generated emails?

Mark Pedersen October 29, 2019

I have setup a user in JIRA with a catch all support email address that sends an email to our Zendesk which receives the JIRA email notifications and creates tickets and needs to send an automated email back to JIRA.

JIRA doesn't register receiving the email back from Zendesk so the reporter cannot get automated notification of the Zendesk ticket number and the reply.

Please help! 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dario B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 30, 2019

Hi @Mark Pedersen ,

If I understand correctly, the auto-generated emails from ZenDesk are not received by Jira. 

If this is correct then there are chances that:

1. the emails from ZenDesk have some lines in their headers that makes them recognizable as auto-submitted or bulk emails (or similar)
  2. in the incoming mail handler configuration the bulk option is set to "Ignore the email and do nothing".

As you can read in the creating issues and comments from email documentation page, in the incoming mail handler configuration the bulk option is used to configure whether to process or ignore auto-generated emails:

Bulk:

This option only affects bulk emails, typically those sent by an automated service, whose header has the Precedence field set to "bulk" or the Auto-Submitted field set to "no". You can handle bulk emails several ways:

• Ignore the email and do nothing
  • Send the email to the specified forward email address (recommended to prevent mail loops between Jira applications and other automated services)
  • Delete the email permanently
  • Accept the email for processing

Therefore, to summarize:

• if the issue is that the auto-generated emails from ZenDesk are not processed by Jira then you may want to check if Bulk is set to "Ignore" in the incoming mail handler configuration and change it to either accept the email for processing or forward it to a specified email address.
  • if the issue is something else, then please provide more details. 

Cheers,
Dario

Mark Pedersen November 17, 2019

Thanks @Dario B, this solved my issue! Much appreciated :)

Like Dario B likes this
Dario B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 19, 2019

You are very welcome @Mark Pedersen , I am happy to know my answer helped. :)

Have a nice day!

Dario

0 votes
fjgonzalez August 17, 2021

Hello @Dario B

We have some problem regarding to zendesk. Maybe you know the solution or reasons of that. The problem it is the when zendesk create a ticket and Jira respond automatically with the confirmation, zendesk reply the Jira notification but without the issue key so this notification is creating new tickets. It created a loop in Jira ticket creation.

Do you know any way to solve this?

Thanks in advance,

Francisco Gonzalez

Suggest an answer