How do you access the user who triggered a transition with Automation for JIRA?

Adam.Martin September 12, 2019

I have a rule that when a certain transition happens a comment should be left indicating who made that transition.  The rule runs fine, but the comment is missing the name of the user.  I'm using "{{initiator.name}}", should I be using something else/is this value not accessible?

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Brydie McCoy (CB)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 12, 2019

Hi Adam,

You may want to try {{initiator.displayName}} as this is gives the nicer version of the users name.

If you are finding the value is still empty it might be worth raising a support request with screenshots of your rule/issues so we can debug it further.

Cheers,
Brydie [Automation for Jira]

Gomez_ Daniel July 27, 2020

Im using {{{{initiator.displayName}} but it comes back as an account ID. Reporter and Assignee show though...

Like # people like this
Gomez_ Daniel July 27, 2020

svij.PNGsvit.PNG

Gomez_ Daniel July 30, 2020

was doing this on the test site i had so i figured out it was a different issue, it worked perfectly on the prod site. Thanks!

Like Mihaly Dallos likes this
Casey Gould March 22, 2023

Related, if you want to actually tag (@ mention) the user who initiated the automation, that would be:

[~accountid:{{initiator.accountId}}]

This will display as the user's name in the standard format when you @ mention someone in a comments.

Like # people like this
Oleksandr Boiko April 20, 2023

Thanks @Casey Gould In specs they mention only displayName method for initiator. Your suggestion was very helpful

Suggest an answer