How do we migrate data from Jira server to AWS Cloud (server license), without using the XML backup?

Keshni October 8, 2019

Hi, 

We are currently migrating Jira (server license) from on-prem to AWS Cloud (server license) - Any suggestions on how to migrate the application data to AWS Cloud? 

Our instance is very large (600 GB) therefore the XML export option is not viable for us. 

Thanks, 

Keshni 

4 answers

0 votes
Emily Chan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 13, 2020

Hi @Keshni ! I'm Emily, a product manager at Atlassian.

We've just built the beta of a solution to help ease migrations from Server/Data-Center-on-prem to Data-Center-on-AWS-Quickstarts.

Would you be interested to join our beta program and try out this solution? If you're interested, or would like to find out more, please email me at echan@atlassian.com. 

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 8, 2019

AWS will still be running a Server version of the software (I don't have a high opinion of Atlassian's choices of names in some areas, as they confuse people)

If you install exactly the same version of Jira Server on AWS as you have on your current servers, and use the same database, you will be able to take a backup of the database (which won't be 600Gb of xml), and restore it on the AWS side, copy the home directory (including attachments) to the application server, probably with some minor changes around connectors, and the same thing will then run up on AWS.

Dawn Fama June 15, 2022

Thank you Nic, I totally agree, terminology is sometimes confusing.

I have done this migration and it went quite smoothly.

I had on prem instance running JIRA Software server.  I just installed same version of JIRA to our AWS EC2 instance.  Sent out a notification to all users to inform them of down time.

Our DBA made a copy of the on prem JIRA DB to an AWS DB instance (also same version of MS SQL DB).

Copied the home directory to the AWS EC2 instance and the rest is just making the connections as you said.

I did have to update the base URL as it changed.

sunil kumar August 22, 2022

Hi @Dawn Fama @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

In an upcoming project, we need to migrate from JIRA On prem and confluence spaces to AWS Data center. There will be multiple instances of JIRA to migrate. Could you please guide what should be the approach on this. Which application should we use and what could be the step by step process for this.

Also any articles or study material you could provide for this. Will appreciate any sort of help.

Thanks.

0 votes
Keshni October 8, 2019

Hi Ravi, 

Thank you for this however I am looking for a way to migrate the application data without using the XML export option. As mentioned above, our instance is very large (600 GB) therefore the XML export option is not viable for us. 

0 votes
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 8, 2019

Hi @Keshni 

You can move the database to new server along with the application and home directory.

Here is the documentation.

Ravi

Suggest an answer