How do we get metrics related to amount of time issues spend in each column, and also blocking duration?

DaveT August 24, 2011

We're doing pretty much straight Kanban (ie per David Anderson's definition/book) with some of our teams, and we're just not able to do it with greenhopper to date. The Rapid Board will solve part of our need (horizontal swimlanes), but isn't helping us with the metrics we need, and I can't find a way to do it in the product (and don't have the resources to do a lot of custom development to get decent Kanban support). Before we jump ship, thought I should throw out the question here. What we're looking for is:

1. detail of amount of time an issue spends in a particular column (queue time, or column-cycle time). We can figure this out looking at the history in Jira, but that's tedious. And we can get a high-level rollup in the CFD. But we need an easier way to see it for all the issues at various levels (within the board, across teams, by class of service (currently work item type), etc.). For the board, if we could get the data behind the CFD (i.e. the start and end in each column for each issue) we could use that to get most of what we want - but I don't see a report or way to get that. And jira filters don't do enough with historical data like that.
        2. blocking duration - the amount of time an issue is blocked. This is critical for effectively dealing with cycle time. Some of our projects use kanban primarily to show the affects of blocks - blockages are an expected part of the process. But the 'blocking' support in GH is limited at best.

That's it for the major 'missing Kanban support'. Thanks, in advance.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nicholas Muldoon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 25, 2011

Hi Dave,

Just to close the loop on this my comment is here.

Thanks,
Nicholas

DaveT September 11, 2011

I'd opened a support ticket (GHS-3530) for this, and it's being followed up there. Some of this will be addressed in 5.7.2 with CFD improvements, Others have been deferred to later, or are in further discussion.

Like Javier Estratecno likes this
0 votes
henk April 1, 2012

Hi

Is there a way to get these metrics out of JIRA in another way, CSV, Excel, ... ? Just a list of issues with the associated cycle time for a chosen board would be sufficient.

thanks

Henk

0 votes
DaveT September 11, 2011

I'd opened a support ticket (GHS-3530) for this, and it's being followed up there. Some of this will be addressed in 5.7.2 with CFD improvements, Others have been deferred to later, or are in further discussion.

Suggest an answer