How do we get child issue fields to populate on dashboards?

Boll Kristi May 20, 2022

Our team is implementing a customer satisfaction survey with all our our completed stories.  I've added a custom check box field to all of our issue templates that is just a yes, no or n/a  selection to help us track if the survey has been sent.  This is not a pre-requisite to having the user story accepted or considered complete as we may chose to not send the survey out until a later date.  That date may end up being at the end of the sprint or multiple sprints in the future. But we do want to be able to track if one has been sent or not.

I have been able to make this work and display on our dashboard for parent issues.  However, I am not able to pull in any field off of the children issues.  Our team needs to provide on-going business support every sprint and this is unplanned work as you never know what problem will come up or when.  We have dedicated X number of story points on a card dedicated to this support and plan for that work.  When we receive an incident we add a child issue to that parent card.  On the child issue we document the specifics of that particular problem and assign it an estimate and track against the total number on the parent.  It is on these child issues we especially want to be able to utilize the tracking of the survey being sent on the dashboard.  

For the other "parent" issues I've used a widget on the dashboard called Two Dimensional Filter Statistics.  The filter I've set up includes all issue types, including sub tasks and it looks on the  Y axis for the assignee and the new field we added on the X.  Its working great for the parent level issues but I am struggling to figure out how to get the children to come in.

Dashboard:

Snap7.png

Dashboard Config:

Snap8.png

Filter used above:

Snap12.png

I would appreciate any or all help in tackling this issue.  Anyone have any ideas as to best make this visual on our dashboard?  I am open to other widgets but this seemed to be the only one I could really make work.

Thanks!   Kris

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Rusnak
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 23, 2022

Hi Kris, 

Thanks for posting to the Atlassian Community!  

If I am understanding your issue correctly and the screenshots you posted, it looks like the filter is only returning 10 results and that is what is showing on the gadget as well.  

What issue type are your 'children' issues set to?  Getting those to return in the filter would likely be the first step in resolving this.  I cannot see all the issues that are selected in your filter (since it cuts off the total list in the screenshot).  But one of the first things to check is to ensure that the 'children' issue types are selected to show in that filter.  I would also double check to make sure they have a sprint value assigned to that matches that of the filter.  That would be the other filter criteria that I would be suspicious could be filtering them out.  

Best, 

Andy

Boll Kristi May 24, 2022

Thanks Andy!  I did everything you suggested before posting,,,great minds think alike - right? LOL.  I posted this on Friday and was off for a long weekend.  When I came back today (Tuesday), everything was working just as I wanted it to.  Didn't have to make any changes.  So, I don't know if I just needed to have an overnight to the next day kind of refresh or what, but I'm heading in the right direction!  Now I just need to figure out how to pull the children off of just those two "parent" issue types and not all of them while still pulling data on the other issue types.  Baby steps!

Thanks again!

Kris

Andy Rusnak
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 25, 2022

Hi Kris, 

That's great to hear that you were able to get the filter to show subtasks!  So happy to hear that.  

In terms of the next step you are working on, if I am understanding you correctly, you are looking to show only the subtasks of a specific parent issue type but not the subtasks of another parent issue type? 

If I am understanding that correctly, that can't be achieved with out of the box JQL at this point, but there are Atlassian Marketplace addons that create functions that allow for filtering subtasks based on an issue type.  This Community post provides additional insight into the addons and the syntax to use.

Best, 

Andy

Boll Kristi May 25, 2022

Thanks Andy!  I had a feeling that was the case so thanks for saving me a bunch of trial and error in confirming my suspicions. 

Like Andy Rusnak likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events