How do i upload an attachment to Jira ticket using rest api , using .js ?

Praveen Nulu November 13, 2018

I need to use Rest API to upload some of our automated runs result reports to Jira tickets using nightwatch java script.

Can any one help me fix the 415 response i am getting using the below code :

'Jira: Add Attachment': function (browser) {

//const jira = browser.page.jira();
var request = require('request');

var options = {
method: 'POST',
url: 'https://provinnovate.atlassian.net/rest/api/3/issue/TOQ-633/attachments',

file: {
'file': '/Users/praveennulu/Documents/Github/IntegratedScheduling-master/test_e2e/reports/TestDoc.pdf'
},

headers: {
'Authorization': 'Basic cHJhdmVlbi5udWx1QHByb3ZpZGVuY2Uub3JnOjJ4Nm55WjFpMFdhWFRQRHdKbWJMMDE0Ng==',
'Accept': 'application/json',
'Content-Type': 'application/octet-stream',
'X-Atlassian-Token': 'no-check',
},
};

request(options, function (error, response, body) {
if (error) throw new Error(error);
console.log(
'Response: ' + response.statusCode + ' ' + response.statusMessage
);
console.log(body);
});

},

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 14, 2018

Hi Praveen,

The 415 error code is an indication that your REST call is using the incorrect 'Content-type' header for the file you are trying to upload to Jira.  This is explained in more detail in a related Fisheye KB REST API: "Error 415 Unsupported Media Type".  I realize that KB is geared for a different product than your Jira Cloud, but the concept is the same here in terms of file attachments via REST.

Instead of using the header of

'Content-Type': 'application/octet-stream'

I think instead this should be something like

'Content-Type': 'application/pdf'

for this particular pdf file.

I hope this helps.

Andy

Praveen Nulu November 14, 2018

Even that is also giving me the same 415 response code.

The reason for adding the Content-Type: 'application/octet-stream' was due to the below  500 error i was getting when i don't use any  Content-Type .

Response: 500

{"message":"org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileUploadBase$InvalidContentTypeException: the request doesn't contain a multipart/form-data or multipart/mixed stream, content type header is application/octet-stream","status-code":500,"stack-trace":"java.lang.RuntimeException: org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileUploadBase$InvalidContentTypeException: the request doesn't contain a multipart/form-data or multipart/mixed stream, content type header is application/octet-stream\n\tat com.atlassian.plugins.rest.common.multipart.fileupload

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 19, 2018

Hi Praveen,

It looks like I was mistaken in my last reply.  Sorry about that.

You don't actually need to define the content-type when uploading a file via the REST API.   I tested this myself using curl and the syntax of

curl --request POST \
  --url 'https://example.atlassian.net/rest/api/3/issue/SCRUM-12/attachments' \
  --header 'Authorization: Basic {myAPItokenhere}' \
  --header 'Accept: application/json' \
  --header 'X-Atlassian-Token: nocheck' \
  -F "file=@/path/to/file/12345.pdf"

I think that you're getting this error because you are trying to define the content-type here when in fact the documentation on using this endpoint does not indicate to use that specific header.  More details in Add attachment POST /rest/api/3/issue/{issueIdOrKey}/attachments.

I believe you should be able to make this work in your python by just removing the 'Content-Type' header entirely.

I hope this helps, please let me know the results.

Andy

Like Rodrigo Angulo likes this
LostInMadness Forever December 2, 2019

if you don't define the content'type u got a 500 status error code........

Like Robert McCool likes this
Nikhil Singh October 23, 2023

Hi @Praveen Nulu ,

Did you get the answer to this? I am also facing the same issue.

I have added Headers as

1. Content-type: application/json

2. X-Atlassian-Token: nocheck

I have not added 

file: {
'file': '/Users/praveennulu/Documents/Github/IntegratedScheduling-master/test_e2e/reports/TestDoc.pdf'
},

but I am adding payload as this

{
    "attachment": [
        {
            "content_type""image/png",
            "file_name""postman.png",
            "size_bytes""1124594",
            "sys_id""afcbf3e1474ab5104b5b9e79e16d4398",
            "Content-Transfer-Encoding""iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAACGgAAAX0CAYAAACfQ617AAAMP2lDQ1BJQ0MgUHJvZmlsZQAASImVVwdYU8kWnluSkEBCCV1K6E0QqQGkhNACSO"
}]
}

Suggest an answer