How do i get Project Template Key using rest api ?

Pradeep Budharapu May 1, 2020

Hi Guys,

How do i get the Project Template Key from the Rest API.

1 answer

0 votes
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 1, 2020

@Pradeep BudharapuI'm afraid that there is not rest API to fetch Project Template Key.

But the set of available is limited and depend upon feature that you have installed/enabled on your cloud site.

Here is list of available templates, for each feature type.

businesscom.atlassian.jira-core-project-templates:jira-core-simplified-content-management, com.atlassian.jira-core-project-templates:jira-core-simplified-document-approval, com.atlassian.jira-core-project-templates:jira-core-simplified-lead-tracking, com.atlassian.jira-core-project-templates:jira-core-simplified-process-control, com.atlassian.jira-core-project-templates:jira-core-simplified-procurement, com.atlassian.jira-core-project-templates:jira-core-simplified-project-management, com.atlassian.jira-core-project-templates:jira-core-simplified-recruitment, com.atlassian.jira-core-project-templates:jira-core-simplified-task-tracking
service_deskcom.atlassian.servicedesk:simplified-it-service-desk, com.atlassian.servicedesk:simplified-internal-service-desk, com.atlassian.servicedesk:simplified-external-service-desk
softwarecom.pyxis.greenhopper.jira:gh-simplified-agility-kanban, com.pyxis.greenhopper.jira:gh-simplified-agility-scrum, com.pyxis.greenhopper.jira:gh-simplified-basic, com.pyxis.greenhopper.jira:gh-simplified-kanban-classic, com.pyxis.greenhopper.jira:gh-simplified-scrum-classic

Also please visit this page for more details - https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/rest/v3/#api-rest-api-3-project-post

Pradeep Budharapu May 1, 2020

Just imagine if i am calling get projects API and i got 100 projects .
Now i want segregate based on project template so how do i know from out of 100 projects which projects belongs to which type of Project Template (Project Template Key)

DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 2, 2020

I don't think that is possible.

Project created doesn't store Project Template Key information with it.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 3, 2020

Yes, you're right, the project template is used as, well, a template - it is only used during project creation, and it is not stored with the project because it's of no use after a project has been created.

Like DPKJ likes this
Pradeep Budharapu May 3, 2020

Then how the Jira is differentiating the Project to Project on what basis ..?????? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 3, 2020

On the unique project key.e

Pradeep Budharapu May 3, 2020

No, My expectation is Project to Project different means template difference , if it is not storing any where project template type how it is differentiating and how it is loading project.

DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 3, 2020

@Pradeep BudharapuProject templates are used to define structure on project, take it as a meta of meta for project. Once project meta is defined (project created) all information from project template is inside project meta, and there is no need for project template now.

Project type like, 'business, software, service-desk' are still stored in project.

Like Nic Brough -Adaptavist- likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 4, 2020

Jira differentiates between projects on the project key. 

Every project has has a set of configurations (meta data) which determines how it works.  The template is used to create a set of configurations for the project upon creation, these are then used by the project and define how it works.  You can change these configurations, and they can be shared between projects.

The template used to create a project is not recorded - it's useless after the project is created because an admin can (and often does) change the configuration.

Like DPKJ likes this
Ronaldo Huang November 11, 2020

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

Hi, when I create a jira project by rest api, how can it share the same configurations with another project during creation? 

It seems that there is no such parameter like 'share' or 'template'. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 12, 2020

I cannot find that in the API either, I don't think it's there (yet)

Suggest an answer