How do i bulk update update issues with a new epic?

Shimeem November 21, 2019

I have uploaded a number of issues to Jira and cannot work out how to bulk update the cards with a new epic. any advice welcome. 

2 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Randy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 21, 2019
  1. Search for the issues
  2. From the top right, click the ellipse and select bulk update (you'll need to have been granted bulk update privileges by your administrator)
  3. Select Bulk Edit
  4. Find the Epic Link field and assign the epic 
  5. Continue through the bulk update screens until the bulk update is run

thank you!

Thank you for your answer. So, I have tried this and it doesn't work for me. This is a licensed product (Paid for) so not sure why this is the case. I will need to investigate further. 

The epics do not appear in the list and the message I get is that "Portfolio for Jira must be licensed for the parent link to be available".

Capture.JPG

Like david.couturier likes this
Randy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 21, 2019

You'll want to assign the epic link not the parent link.  parent link is a portfolio only field (as you discovered) for extending epics and other issue types with additional parent hierarchies. 

I think that epic link dropdown is auto complete so you'll want to start typing in the epic name and it'll start showing you options.

Hi Randy thank you. I tried typing but nothing comes up. I will keep investigating! 

Charles Fortune March 22, 2020

In Step 1, Choose Issues, if you have any subtasks selected, you will not see the option to select an Epic Link in Step 4, Operation Details. Select only parent issues in Step 1, and you will see the option to select a new Epic link to update in Step 4. 

Danielle Favreau November 8, 2023

This still doesn't work in 2023. Nothing appears in the Epic drop down. If you type an Epic's key that you know exists it refreshed the page when you hit submit, inserts the Summary of the Epic but still shows a warning that you must choose an epic. There is no way to do this automatically using bulk change option.

Per Nilsson
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 13, 2023

For me, there was a "Change Epic/Theme" in Step 3 which has an auto-complete for labels (?).

I had to "Change Parent" and set it to the Epic I wanted. Search by ticket number didn't work, it only autocompleted Epic Names.

The effect was what I wanted - the Epic Link was updated.

0 votes
Usama January 14, 2024

It seems "Epic link" is referred to as "Parent Link" within the Bulk interface...

This worked for me too👍

Suggest an answer