How do i add a customer to Jira (without Jira Servicedesk)?

Louis Spieckerhoff April 27, 2022

Hello,

we are using Jira Software Premium and we would like to add customers for linking with issues and so on. We tried it with labels and components, but they have a limit on the amount which you can create.

Are we in need to buy a Jira Servicedesk license for that?

Thanks, Louis

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 27, 2022

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Customer accounts are provided only by Jira Service Management, they don't exist for Jira Software or Jira Work Management.  Also, they don't get access to issues, they only get to see the request in front of the issue.

If you want your customers to use your Jira Software issues, you will have to give them standard Jira user accounts.

Louis Spieckerhoff April 28, 2022

Hello,

i think you do not understand me. I explain it a more detailed here:

Bildschirmfoto 2022-04-28 um 10.57.33.png

We currently add the information, which customer reported for e.g. an error, inside of the description of an issue. Yes of course, we can use a field, but to what component of Jira can we link that?

Components and Labels have a restriction of the amount. Is there no specific customer-field that we can use?

We want to filter our issues by customer-name and license; so we can for e.g. evaluate everything we have done for them or we need to do in the future.

We DONT need and want our customers to use Jira!

We also need to maintain the customer fields, like adding new customers to them and so on. It is not enough to just a text field!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 28, 2022

Ahh, I see.

No, there are no customer fields in Jira Software, it's only got basic generic fields and a handful aimed strongly at software development (like versions).

You could try using select lists or multi-select lists - those are readily searchable and good for reporting (you can group issues by select list in the filter statistic gadget for example - that would give you an instant "count issues by customer" display)

Insight, the CMDB stuff for Jira does support customer-oriented fields in the way I think you want, but you'll need to go Jira premium to get it.

Jira Service Management is not what you are looking for here, it uses individual customers, and although you can and should group them into organisations (which would map on to what you are describing as a customer), it's a single customer filed.

Thanks for your answer, can you give me a hint on what you mentioned?

"Insight, the CMDB stuff for Jira does support customer-oriented fields in the way I think you want, but you'll need to go Jira premium to get it."

Where do i find that? We are already using Jira Premium.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 28, 2022

Argh, sorry, I completely failed to say "Jira Premium Service Management" - it's a module in there, not Jira Software.

Okay thank you. I will have a look at it.

Suggest an answer