How do add tabs to only one issue type?

Lavern Dowsley April 4, 2022

Hi,

I created a new issue type called 'Test'.  In this new issue type I created tabs and, within the tabs are custom fields.  The tabs appear on the 'Create', 'Edit' and 'View' screens. Great!

Problem: The tabs and custom fields are now appearing on all issue types!  NOT Great!

Clearly I've messed up somewhere but there are so many areas that I had to manipulate just to achieve the new issues type with tabs and I don't know where to start.

2 answers

0 votes
Bill Wohler August 15, 2022

I just found that if I associated the custom field with a specific type and added that field to a tab in my project's screen, that tab would not appear in other types, which is what we want.  That way, you don't need a duplicate screen for this. Perhaps that info could help the OP @Lavern Dowsley

The types associated with the custom field can be set after the fact by going to Custom fields > <Name of field> > ... > Configure > Edit Configuration > Choose applicable issue types.

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 4, 2022

Hello @Lavern Dowsley 

For clarity, are you working with a Team Managed project or a Company Managed project? And are you a Jira Administrator?

Lavern Dowsley April 4, 2022

I am an administrator with full access.  I am testing out a new issues type that will eventually be available to all project but for now it will only be used/viable to one.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 4, 2022

Can I assume from that answer that you added you are trying to use the new Issue Type in a Company Managed project?

For Company Managed projects there will be a Issue Type Screen Scheme assigned to the project.

In the Issue Type Screen Scheme, issue types are associated with Screen Schemes.

I suspect that you may have just one Screen Scheme that is used for all issue types in your project, and that Screen Scheme may have just one Screen in it, so that the same screen is used for all operations for all issue types in your project.

You will need to create a Screen Scheme that includes the modified screens with the extra tabs and custom fields. Then in the Issue Type Screen Scheme, associate that Screen Scheme with the Test issue type.

If you did have only one screen and one screen scheme for your project, you will have to fix it so that you have two screens (one with and one without the extra tabs and fields), each associated to a Screen Scheme, and both of those Screen Schemes added to your Issue Type Screen Scheme.

If that is unclear, let me know and we can walk through it in more detail.

Hi Trudy, I'm doing the same thing and I'm relatively new to this.

If I associate a new screen scheme and screen with a different issue type, I presume I'll have to copy my existing screen to a new screen that will have the tabs. After that, if I need to add a field that applies to both screens, I will have to add it in multiple places. Correct?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 15, 2022

Hello @Bill Wohler 

There's not quite enough information in what you wrote for me to answer. Can you more fully describe your situation?

If you have different Screens for different issue types and you want multiple issues to have the same fields, then yes, the fields would have to be added to each of the screens.

Thanks for confirming, @Trudy Claspill. It sounds like you grasped my question.

Suggest an answer