How do I use the JIRA Git Plugin on Windows?

Paul Stahlke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 23, 2011

Hi, I am trying to setup the JIRA Git Plugin (https://studio.plugins.atlassian.com/wiki/display/JGIT/JIRA+Git+Plugin) on our Windows server. And I need to connect to our Git repository on a separate Linux machine. The setup instructions on the plugin page are greek to me and look to be tailored to a Linux setup. Can someone help me with what I need to do to setup the plugin on Windows, mainly the first two steps they mention on the wiki page. What do these mean and where do I perform and place these? Thank you.

1. <tt>git clone --bare</tt> the source tree you need on your Jira machine (as the same user Jira runs as)
  2. Put private key into <tt>.ssh</tt> dir of the same user Jira runs as. Key must has EMPTY passphrase

8 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Paul Stahlke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 1, 2012

I had our Git admin enable HTTP access to the repos, so no SSH key setup was needed after all. All I really had to do was install msysGit: http://code.google.com/p/msysgit. Then I bare cloned the repos on the JIRA server, then setup the repositories in the Git plugin admin page. Works great.

1 vote
Michael Geddes August 27, 2012
  • Work out where your home directory is for the user that is running the Jira service. You can get this from the logs - just look for user.home (this might be c:\ )
  • Under that directory, create a .ssh\config file and put something like:
Host 192.168.1.1
	StrictHostKeyChecking false
	IdentityFile .ssh/id_rsa

• and put your generated rsa private key file as .ssh/id_rsa
0 votes
Michael Geddes August 27, 2012
  • Work out where your home directory is for the user that is running the Jira service. You can get this from the logs - just look for user.home (this might be c:\ )
  • Under that directory, create a .ssh\config file and put something like:
Host 192.168.1.1
	StrictHostKeyChecking false
	IdentityFile .ssh/id_rsa

• and put your generated rsa private key file as .ssh/id_rsa
0 votes
Colin Goudie
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 29, 2011

Canuck, in regards to the ssh keys, whoever administers your git repositories should know about this.

If you're still stuck and really want this fixed contact me direct. It's a bit involved to use answers for this.

Cheers

0 votes
Paul Stahlke
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 27, 2011

Colin, thanks for coming to the rescue... We have JIRA installed as a Windows service which I setup manually from the standalone.zip. Our directories are d:\atlassian-jira-enterprise-4.2.4-b591-standalone (APP) and d:\jira (HOME DIR).

I will try to install the msysgit. But yes, I'll need to know how to get the keys and where to place them, too.

Thanks!

0 votes
Paul Stahlke
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 23, 2011

Colin, thanks for coming to the rescue... We have JIRA installed as a Windows service which I setup manually from the standalone.zip. Our directories are d:\atlassian-jira-enterprise-4.2.4-b591-standalone (APP) and d:\jira (HOME DIR).

I will try to install the msysgit. But yes, I'll need to know how to get the keys and where to place them, too.

Thanks!

0 votes
Colin Goudie
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 23, 2011
Now the trick will be to ensure you have placed the private keys from the git server into the correct user's .ssh folder, so that's why I asked above how your JIRA is installed. Once we know that I can tell you how to ensure these directories exist etc.. Do you know how and where to get the private keys off the git server?
0 votes
Colin Goudie
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 23, 2011
Canuck, how is your JIRA running on Windows. e.g. Is it installed a service/via the installer etc..? I've never done this so rather than answer, here's a few tips For the 1st part you will need to have a Windows version of git installed to do the clone. Install msysgit - http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/ If it prompts you to choose between putty or tortoise ssh, use putty.

Suggest an answer