How do I upgrade from the dchevell Docker images to the official Atlassian images?

Josh Foremaster September 23, 2019

Our current Dockerfile contains:

FROM dchevell/jira-servicedesk

When I change it to:

FROM atlassian/jira-servicedesk

and run a docker-compose up -d --build

it pulls the latest image, but fails to deploy.

I get the following error messages under the "Preparing to start Jira" page:

The following warnings should be fixed, but you can choose to ignore them and continue starting Jira.

! Upgrade: Custom changes have not been carried over

The listed configuration files contain custom changes.  To keep your current configuration, re-apply these custom changes to the new version of the files during upgrade.

- bin/setenv.sh

- conf/server.xml

Note: Make sure you only copy over the changes not the entire files.

At this point, I can click the button that says "Ignore all warnings and continue",

but the server never starts.  To my knowledge, we haven't *made* any custom changes to these files.  Any help would be appreciated.  I searched this forum without success; apologize I'm a Docker noob.  I'll keep digging through logs in the meantime; just wondered if anyone else ran into this.

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Josh Foremaster September 24, 2019

Details:
I didn't have to do anything special; logged in to host, did a docker-compose down which brought everything down.  Then did a docker-compose pull, which grabbed latest Postgres per our Docker compose files.  Then did a docker-compose pull atlassian/jira-servicedesk:latest which grabbed the latest version.  Then docker-compose up -d --build, and waited for the service to start.  It still threw the error, but I was able to continue, and it is up for our users today, with no apparent issues.

Josh

0 votes
Answer accepted
Josh Foremaster September 23, 2019

Update:

The "Ignore all warnings and continue" button did finally work.  Got upgraded to 8.4.1 and seems to be working fine.

Suggest an answer