How do I update data in JIRA using bulk import feature?

Foram Choksi May 8, 2023

I have different issue types already created in JIRA project. I would like to bulk update assignee (different user) to each of the issue. How do i achieve it using bulk import?

I have extracted export of list of JIRA issues. I have Issue ID as well as Issue Key information. While importing, able to select only Issue ID to map it with these 2 coloumns. Instead of updating it created new issue into the system.

Appreciate your time and efforts. Thanks in Advanced. 

3 answers

2 votes
Ojase Emmanuval
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 8, 2023

Hi @Foram Choksi 

You will need to use External System Import (CSV) to update the existing issues. You will be requiring JIRA administrator privileges to do this. The issue key column in CSV should be mapped to Issue Key in CSV mapping, not issue ID. Assignee should be mapped to Assignee field, Summary to summary in JIRA Issue ID/Parent IDs are used to import subtasks. Please try to do this and let me know how it goes. 

Screenshot 2023-05-09 114350.png

Foram Choksi May 10, 2023

Hi Ojase,

Could you please suggest which External System Import (CSV) need to be use to import data for edit?

Ojase Emmanuval
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2023

@Foram Choksi Please naviagate to JIRA settings--> System --> External System Import--> Choose CSV.

Thanks,

Ojase

1 vote
Karim ABO HASHISH
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 8, 2023

hi @Foram Choksi 

Welcome to the community :)

To achieve your target, please follow the below steps

• Prepare csv file with 3 columns issue key, Summary and assignee (new entries)
  • On the first page of the import wizard select your project
  • On the second page, map your fields and don't forget to check the "Map Field Value" box on the right (illustrated below)
  • Nothing special for next pages, it should work perfectly.

wxRzwHlMLB.png

Good Luck and let us know how it for you.

Cheers,

Karim

Foram Choksi May 10, 2023

Thank you @Karim ABO HASHISH 

I am unable to see mapping for issue key. FYI, I am on JIRA DC v9.4.3. 

Could you please help further ?

issue_key.png

Karim ABO HASHISH
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 12, 2023

hi @Foram Choksi 

please try to click on the drop down (check screenshot below) and type key then select Issue Key field from the suggestions.

issue_key.png

please don't forget to check the box forap field value.

You might need also to make sure that the summary field is in the CSV file because it will be required when you select the field issue key correctly.

Let me know if further assistance is needed.

Cheers,

Karim

0 votes
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 17, 2023

Hi @Foram Choksi

just to put this out there - if you're open to solutions from the Atlassian Marketplace, this should be significantly easier to do using the app that my team and I are working on, JXL for Jira.

JXL is a full-fledged spreadsheet/table view for your issues that allows viewing, inline-editing, sorting, and filtering by all your issue fields, much like you’d do in e.g. Excel or Google Sheets. It also supports bulk-editing via copy/paste - within JXL, but also between JXL and pretty much any other app. This is how it looks in action:

paste-from-excel.gif

The above animation is based on the "Summary" field, but it works the same way for any other editable field - you just need to paste a string that is "understood" by the respective cell (for users, this would be the user name), and make sure you paste into the "correct" set of issues.

Any questions just let me know,

Best,

Hannes

Suggest an answer