How do I uninstall Jira

wally walsh July 27, 2011

I am currently attempting to evaluate Jira running on Ubuntu. I have made some mistakes and want to uninstall and start again from scratch.

I cannot find any doc that details an uninstall procedure. Google does not help. I cannot log a support call, it will not let me login with the username and password that gave me the key. I pretty much can't do anything at the moment. Any help would be appreciated.

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 27, 2011

Depends on how you've installed it, but Linux is a lot cleaner than windows. There's no messing around with services, registries or system settings to get Jira to work - you can simply work backwards through what you did to install it to work out what needs to go.

e.g. if you downloaded standalone and installed it under /opt/jira and put the jira.home as /data/jira, then just delete those two directories and you're done. If you added it to system startup, or created scripts outside the install directories, you'll need to do that too, but the install won't have created them for you.

2 votes
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 27, 2011

If you started out with the standalone install as Nick says, but if you specifically used the derby database for 'eval' you can just remove the $JIRA_HOME/database folder, restart and you're back to square one. Sometimes its useful to do a backup when you get to a useful configured state. If you configured up an external database, just wipe the $JIRA_HOME/home folder.

1 vote
GilesG August 28, 2011

Hello there,

If you've installed JIRA 4.4 using the new automated installer wizards for either Windows or Linux, you can use the 'uninstaller' features provided by these automated installers to uninstall JIRA.

Refer to Uninstalling JIRA Standalone from Windows or Uninstalling JIRA Standalone from Linux for details.

Cheers,

Giles.

0 votes
TEST pub name April 2, 2020

use this command

$ cd /opt/atlassian/jira

$ sudo bash uninstall

0 votes
Eva
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 27, 2011

Well this might not be a clean way to do it, but it works for me -- I basically uninstall it via window services, delete any leftover folders/files created by JIRA (for Windows, it's under Program Files\Atlassian) and then reinstall it from scratch. For linux, I am sure you can just delete the folders and then reinstall everything. Again, not a clean way, but it works for me at least.

Suggest an answer