How do I turn off auto formatting in description and comments

Adam Lang August 13, 2021

The auto formatting in the new Jira Cloud (I came from using server for years) aggressively auto formats text.

A simple example, if I put a hostname in, it switches it to a URL as a click button (the hostname was NOT entered with http:// originally). It results in me having to go back and edit the post, tell it to display the URL and THEN manually remove the http://

Is there any way to turn this type of behavior off? Having to go back and continually undo formatting it thinks I want has become a significant productivity impact.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 16, 2021

Hello @Adam Lang ,

Currently, We have transitioned everyone to the new issue view, with a unified editing experience across the Atlassian Suite of products, so you're no longer able to switch back to the old issue view which allowed disabling of the markup using renders on field settings. 

Because of this, the Render settings from the old issue view have all been converted to use markdown for rich text fields in the new Jira issue view as opposed to the wiki markup previously used.  Take a look at Markdown formatting in Jira Cloud for additional details on formatting options and shortcut options. 

Additional details on the changes can be seen here.

As noted in the article above:

We're currently transitioning all users on the old issue view in Jira Cloud products (Jira Software, Jira Service Management, Jira Work Management) to the new issue view. You can’t set the old view as your default view anymore, but for a limited time, you’re still able to temporarily click through to the old view. Once everyone is on the new issue view, we'll be able to ship improvements and fix bugs faster, so get ready for the exciting journey ahead!

While you can temporarily view the old view, there is not an option to disable the view in full, but we are taking feedback to make future improvements and as covered in the same article in the FAQ section at the bottom:

Where should I go if I have feedback, questions, or concerns?

To give us feedback, open an issue in the new issue view and click the Give feedback button in the top right.

Please make sure to use the noted feedback option to highlight the concerns you have with the current editing experience or functionality you would like to see added.

Regards,
Earl

Adam Lang August 16, 2021

So there is no way to change a profile or account setting to have text boxes act like plain text by default?

Like Ethan Locke likes this
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 17, 2021

Hi @Adam Lang ,

Yes, that is correct there is not an option to enter plain text in the current version of the new editor.

Regards,
Earl

Adam Lang September 3, 2021

Is there a way to put in a feature request?

Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
September 7, 2021

Hi @Adam Lang ,

A list of the current feature requests related to the new issue view, both completed and in the works are nested under this Feature request as Sub-tasks:

There is an existing sub-task for markdown support at the following link as a child issue of the main collection noted above:

But do note that the request has been closed out with a "Won't Fix" resolution for the reasons discussed in the request.  So moving forward addition of this type of functionality is being collected in the previously mentioned feedback option noted in the FAQ noting:

Where should I go if I have feedback, questions, or concerns?

To give us feedback, open an issue in the new issue view and click theGive feedback button in the top right.

We are using the feedback option here to help collate the biggest concerns about the desired functionality to add new features to the new issue view.  So while there will not be an option to revert the editing experiance to the old wiki editor formating for plain text input options, we are still improving the experiance based on the feedback recieved in the in app feedback option.

Regards,
Earl

1 vote
Ishoo Anyal
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 20, 2022

You can use Preformatted from the + tab in the description section
This will add

{noformat}

.....You content---

{noformat}

Adam Lang June 20, 2022

Except users shouldn't have to make a tag every time.  This should be a user setting they can turn on or off. I waste a LOT of time having to tell JIRA to not autoformat stuff I simply want to paste into a comment or description field.

The worst is autoformatting server hostnames into renamed url links.  

Like Andrew Jones likes this
claudia Gonzalez
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 11, 2022

same thing when creating bulk issues from Confluence tables :s it has been a while and no fixed for this yet.

Adam Lang July 12, 2022

Seems clear Atlassian doesn't see this as something that needs fixing.  Literally they just need to add a profile setting to allow a user to turn off the autoformat feature.  It's just awful and irritating.  I don't know why they think that was a good thing for technical use.

It daily makes me consider if it is worth it to find a different product and move things.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events