How do I turn off Dark Mode?

WW January 29, 2022

Hi Community,

I'm sorry, but I'm old and my vision is declining.  At some point, I switched to some kind of "dark mode" on the Jira website, but the effort has become very difficult and sometimes painful with eye strain headaches to see comfortably, as I have had to mess with the zoom and lean forward in my chair, and look away, and refocus, and... well, it's become quite a hassle and a constant reminder of my declining health.

I have looked over many resources, how-to's, and videos about how to change the theme back to the normal "light mode", but I'm unable to find anything that is helping me solve my problem.  The closest thing I can find is in the Jira Settings >> System >> User Interface >> Look and Feel >> Navigation Colors >> Background, but this only changes the navigation bar at the top.  I need a solution that will restore the original "light" theme of the background and text color.

Even if it weren't, like, "white on black" as a Dark Mode--the contrast is just too high!  Maybe more like Visual Studio Code's light grey on dark grey would be easier on my eyes.  Please let me know what I can do to figure this out, and I'm sorry for asking such a simple question.

I use this website for personal projects--not work--and it's very useful, but I just wish it were easier to read.  I keep forgetting things, so Jira is great to help me remember important steps in my longer-term projects.  Thank you for your time and patience!

-Thank you

2 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 29, 2022

Jira Cloud does not support dark mode. Which browser are you using, maybe it is a browser extension? Can you try a different browser as a quick test. Note that there is a Mac client for Jira that supports dark mode.

WW January 29, 2022

Son of a gun--well, this is embarrassing, you're absolutely right!  I'm so sorry for wasting your time.  It's so hard to tell where one website ends and another begins.  Here is the culprit:

night mode.jpg

Thank you SO MUCH for your time and thoughtfulness.  Really appreciate it!

Like # people like this
1 vote
Amira Badran
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 7, 2022

Hello Community

Just dropping in because we have some huge news to share… we’re delivering an early access preview of our highest requested feature, a dark theme (and a new light theme as well) to Jira Cloud products.

We’ll be providing early access to themes in Jira labs, which means you get to test it out early and help us make the feature the best it can be. Once you’ve opted in to the experience, you’ll be able to switch between our new light and dark themes. We really need to call out that this is still a work in progress and you can opt out at any time.

DM roadmap.png

How to opt in to the new themes

The feature is available via Jira Labs on your Personal settings page. If you’d like to try it out:

1. Go to Settings > Personal Jira settings
  1. Scroll down the page to Jira labs.
  1. Opt in to Light and dark themes using the toggle.

At any point, you can return to the original Jira colors by opting out of Light and dark themes, just switch the toggle back off.

The majority of our products are looking pretty sweet in the new themes, but there are a few bits and bobs that are definitely a work in progress, such as Marketplace apps. It won’t affect all our users, but depending on your setup, those areas might look a little odd during the early access period.

If you find parts of Jira that don’t look quite right with the new themes, please give us feedback through the Share your feedback button on your Personal settings page.

More info on what to expect can be found here

For Marketplace Partners, please read how to migrate all of your Apps to Dark Theme here

Thank you!

Amira Badran

Product Manager, Jira Software

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders