How do I to control the order of statuses in the right most Jira Kanban board column?

DSell September 21, 2022

As shown in the image below when moving issues from the left column to the right-most column the "Canceled" status is at the top, and the "Done" status is below. What controls the order of this? I thought it was the order in the configuration of the columns, but that does not seem to change the result.

This might seem like a trivial thing, but since almost all issues are not canceled, it is not preferred to have the easiest place to drop issues as being canceled.

done column order.jpg

Screenshot 2022-09-21 145628.jpg

3 answers

0 votes
Florian Bonniec
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 21, 2022

Hi @DSell 

I guess you are referencing to this issue and KB.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-12944

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-reorder-statuses-on-board-columns-in-jira-1005792525.html

It's based on the order you added the steps in your WF, it has been fixed in one version of JIRA that is documented in the ticket in order to have the order in the column reflected when dragging the issue.

Hope this will help you.

Regards

DSell September 22, 2022

Thank you for the reply. The workflow looks like this:

WF.jpgwf2.jpg

Florian Bonniec
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 22, 2022

Done is on top of Cancel because Done step id is 44 and Cancel is 49. Approved seems to come from another workflow.

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do in order to fix this except upgrading to JIRA 8.12 or higher.

They have a process to follow to fix that but honestly the easy fix is to update JIRA.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-reorder-statuses-on-board-columns-in-jira-1005792525.html

Updating WF step may cause issue if you have scripts or customization on your jIRA.

DSell September 23, 2022

Hi Florian,

I must be missing something. As shown in my initial post, Canceled/Won't Do is on top

(44) Done is on the bottom.

(49) Canceled is on the top

Thoughts?

Thank you!

Florian Bonniec
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 23, 2022

Hi @DSell 

From the bug tracking we have the rule that is applied.

bugcolumn.png

And you WF is like below

bugcolumn.png

Base on the Canceled should be after Done. This issue may vary based on your JIRA version. Even if the behaviour is not the same I think it's the same issue.

What is your JIRA version ?

Regards

DSell September 23, 2022

The version is 8.20.10.

I agree with what you are saying and if it worked that way I would be really happy, but as shown in the first image, Canceled/ Won't do is on top of the right-most column even though it has a higher number (49). I want Canceled/Won't Do on the bottom

Florian Bonniec
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 23, 2022

I do not experience this issue on JIRA 9. Even if the issue is set as Fixed we can see on comment from Matt in the ticket (https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-12944) that it happen also to him on the same version of JIRA you use.

So it means that there is ongoing bugs with status order in column of Agile Boards. 

I would open a support request on Atlassian Support to ask if the workaround of this ticket is also valid for 8.20.

Regards

DSell September 23, 2022

Thank you. I have put a ticket in with our supplier

0 votes
Carla Ann K. Rowland September 21, 2022

check with your JIRA administrator, if that is not you. I believe the order is dictated by the placement of that status in the Statuses list maintained by the JIRA Administrator

0 votes
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 21, 2022

That is a good point, @DSell  Personally, I hadn't really noticed that before. Looks like it is just some arbitrary thing... If you find an answer elsewhere, please post it here for the rest of us.

Thanks,
KGM

Suggest an answer