How do I stop notifications when attachments are deleted?

How can we control notifications for deleted attachments?

Whenever we send emails that hit JIRA, all images and attachments are placed as an attachment on the JIRA issue. This is wonderful for file attachments, however, all the small thumbnails that are on emails (eg: Logos, signature jpg's, etc.) can heavily clutter the issue with attachments. We go into the issue and delete these unwanted and unecessary attachments, but every time we delete one of these, an email is sent to all the watchers. This can sometimes lead to a wave of emails, especially if the initial email being absorbed by JIRA has a lengthy trail and it starts peeling off every image and placing it as an attachment... I think you get the idea here. How do we control notifications for deleted attachments?

Grateful for an answer, Jay

6 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Pedro Cora Atlassian Team Feb 10, 2014

Hi Jay,

As it turns out, you can't just stop the notifications for deleting files as this notifications are the Issue Edited event. So you would have to remove this event from the Notification Scheme, but all other modifications done to the issue when you edit it's details won't generate mail as well. However, if that's fine, you can just edit the Notification Scheme associated with the project and remove recipients from the Issue Edited.

Cheers,

Pedro

Is this still the case? No way to modify the notification scheme to ignore updates to the attachments only?

Jay, did you ever figure this out? This is driving us crazy, and I can't find a simple answer to this problem! Thanks!

Jay, did you ever figure this out? This is driving us crazy, and I can't find a simple answer to this problem! Thanks!

Hi Julia - No, just the answer that the one person put on. Basically, at this time there is no way to stop them. Hopefully Atlassian will come out with an update that will allow you to fine tune how 'attachments' are handled.

Thanks Jay. I found a program in the Marketplace that will allow you to filter what types of files can be added to an issue...for example, the thumbnail and logo images that are attaching as a result of a client responding to an issue in email are in .PNG format. Apparently this plug-in can filter attachments out based on the file type. It's called Attachment Checker for Jira. I haven't tried it yet! I also found an article that talks about removing attachments in bulk by removing them from the folder where they are kept on the server...I can't find that article again, but if I find it I will post it here. Good luck!

Is this still the case? No way to modify the notification scheme to ignore updates to the attachments only?

Hi Joshua - Unfortunately, I've never gotten a reply to this problem.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,331 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot