How do I stop notifications when attachments are deleted?

Jay Glatt February 9, 2014

How can we control notifications for deleted attachments?

Whenever we send emails that hit JIRA, all images and attachments are placed as an attachment on the JIRA issue. This is wonderful for file attachments, however, all the small thumbnails that are on emails (eg: Logos, signature jpg's, etc.) can heavily clutter the issue with attachments. We go into the issue and delete these unwanted and unecessary attachments, but every time we delete one of these, an email is sent to all the watchers. This can sometimes lead to a wave of emails, especially if the initial email being absorbed by JIRA has a lengthy trail and it starts peeling off every image and placing it as an attachment... I think you get the idea here. How do we control notifications for deleted attachments?

Grateful for an answer, Jay

6 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Pedro Cora
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 10, 2014

Hi Jay,

As it turns out, you can't just stop the notifications for deleting files as this notifications are the Issue Edited event. So you would have to remove this event from the Notification Scheme, but all other modifications done to the issue when you edit it's details won't generate mail as well. However, if that's fine, you can just edit the Notification Scheme associated with the project and remove recipients from the Issue Edited.

Cheers,

Pedro

Joshua Bennett November 12, 2015

Is this still the case? No way to modify the notification scheme to ignore updates to the attachments only?

Like Eli Jenkins likes this
Colin McDermott_GLiNTECH November 30, 2020

This workaround isn't ideal for most. 

As you want to be able to delete an attachment, perhaps as a project admin or other without mucking around with notification schemes. You could also be interfering with the notification scheme on your own project and missing notifications. 

An Idea:

So what I would do is create a project with no notification scheme. Then move the issue you want to delete the attachment on to that project. delete the attachment, then move it back. Not ideal by any means, but this means you are not changing project settings or having to do a lot of work on the fly to delete an attachment. (which should be rare that you get a sensitive attachment that you want deleted without the user knowing). 

Ofcourse more fine grain controls would be appreciated (I am here looking for ways to stop internal comments from sending internal notifications). 

1 vote
Joshua Bennett November 11, 2015

Is this still the case? No way to modify the notification scheme to ignore updates to the attachments only?

Jay Glatt November 11, 2015

Hi Joshua - Unfortunately, I've never gotten a reply to this problem.

0 votes
Julia Braid April 4, 2014

Thanks Jay. I found a program in the Marketplace that will allow you to filter what types of files can be added to an issue...for example, the thumbnail and logo images that are attaching as a result of a client responding to an issue in email are in .PNG format. Apparently this plug-in can filter attachments out based on the file type. It's called Attachment Checker for Jira. I haven't tried it yet! I also found an article that talks about removing attachments in bulk by removing them from the folder where they are kept on the server...I can't find that article again, but if I find it I will post it here. Good luck!

0 votes
Jay Glatt April 4, 2014

Hi Julia - No, just the answer that the one person put on. Basically, at this time there is no way to stop them. Hopefully Atlassian will come out with an update that will allow you to fine tune how 'attachments' are handled.

0 votes

Jay, did you ever figure this out? This is driving us crazy, and I can't find a simple answer to this problem! Thanks!

0 votes

Jay, did you ever figure this out? This is driving us crazy, and I can't find a simple answer to this problem! Thanks!

Suggest an answer