How do I sort my backlog based off priority?

Sam Grote November 28, 2018

Right now when I create a new issue, it automatically goes to the bottom regardless of priority.  

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 28, 2018

You can change the board filter so that it orders by priority instead of rank.

But be aware that this makes the ranking useless, because to order by a field, you have to, well, order by it.

0 votes
Sreenivasaraju P
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 28, 2018
Vedran Opacic November 30, 2021

Not relevant to "new" version of projects. There's just no way to sort

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 30, 2021

See the original answer

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- I wouldn't mind you pointing out where that filter is when using new type of project in Jira (not in any of the ... settings):
Screenshot 2021-11-30 152247.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 30, 2021

Yes, that only applies to Company managed projects.  Team managed projects don't have filters, as they don't need them.  They are also designed not to allow ordering because the idea is that you don't need it.

You'll note that you were responding to a question that was asked before Team Managed projects existed.

The way I found this question, others probably will too and the date alone is not something that would signal to me when something existed or not since I'm not a Atlassian employee.

I would strongly disagree on "no need to order". If for example you have a large and active backlog and want to prioritize items you need to set priority + also drag every one of them around which is doubling the time (at least) to complete this action.

And the fact that people have created an app to do just this (in lack of any Jira support for it) with the starting price of $300/year should also tell you something.

Like Richard English likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 30, 2021

I think most people find more recent questions on the subject, judging by the lack of activity on this one.

I'm not an Atlassian either, I've just been in the ecosystem for a long time, so I'm aware of this sort of thing.

You'll need to take up the lack of sort with Atlassian's Jira product owners, but there's a strong argument that a backlog should only be sortable by rank (which is what team managed projects do).  In a company-managed project/board, if you sort by anything other than rank, then you can't rank the issues any more. 

The sort might be useful as a display, but it's useless for sorting a backlog, because only ranking can give you an ordered list.

Suggest an answer