How do I show multiple test instances of the same test in the same cycle?

Alay Tolia August 26, 2018

I execute a Test in a given Cycle. The Test fails, Then I go ahead and execute the Test again once the defect is fixed, and the Test passes. Does it not create multiple execution instances that I can quickly review or do we have to look up the history to figure out what happened? 

I am comparing this with HP ALM and seeing if there was way to see the multiple exeuction instances of the same test in the same test cycle.

2 answers

0 votes
Alay Tolia August 28, 2018

In addition, if you execute the "test" again and add to the same test cycle and folder, it shows 2 records. I would like to see only one record of the test, with the latest status, and some option to look at the other execution runs / instances and their status. Maybe History is the way out, but just thinking whether JIRA/Zephyr can make a product enhancement with this feature.

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 27, 2018

Hello Alay,

There are several ways to check this kind of data on JIRA. Here are some suggestions:

1 - You can check the results in the history, as you have previously mentioned

2 - Once the first test has failed, you can create a new issue to perform the second test and then relate it to the first test created, so you can register that the test has been performed before

3 - You can add a custom number field and increment it everytime you had to run the test again

Alay Tolia August 28, 2018

Thank You. Yes, but the whole idea is that it should reduce work for a person. Instead of someone having to track it, can JIRA not create a new instance each time an "E" or Execute button is clicked so that would automatically do the things that are mentioned in #2 and #3. Again, the idea is to make it seamless for the end user. And moreover it is a product functionality that introduces a standard practice as opposed to everyone doing differently. My 2 cents, and hoped that Zephyr/JIRA would provide that option/functionality.

Like Chris Kemp likes this
Chris Kemp June 14, 2022

Agreed, I am here in 2022 as I am trying to see how to run a second instance of a failed test within a Test Execution.  I don't want to create separate Test Executions as that is too cumbersome and unclear.  Sure, might be OK if I failed one test once, but what if it repeatedly fails ...messy.
It makes much more sense to have multiple instances within a single Execution.  However, I suspect this is a limitation of the XRay implementation (possibly down to the way Jira is structured).

Like Anton Gerasimov likes this

Suggest an answer