How do I setup "jira.clone.prefix" so that cloned subtask prefix is the new parent task name?

Omar Mussa March 22, 2016

Here's an example of what I want to do.  I have a task "Recipe" with a subtask "Start".  I want to clone the task "Recipe" to a new task "QuickRecipe".  I'd like to have the new subtask that is cloned renamed to "QuickRecipe Start" but I don't know how I should setup "jira.clone.prefix" to accomplish this (or if it is possible)?  Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Wazza
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 22, 2016

Hi @Omar Mussa,

At present when you clone a task and a sub-task, they cloned task and sub-task both have the same text prefixed to their Summary. So in your example above, if you change "jira.clone.prefix" to "quick", the result would be a task of Quick Recipe and a sub-task of Quick Start. It's worth noting that the "jira.clone.prefix" will apply to all issues in your instance, so all cloned issues will be prefixed with whatever you set here.

Thanks,

Warren

Omar Mussa March 22, 2016

I must not have been clear - we want to change the prefix every time we create a new cloned task so it is not practical for us to change the jira.clone.prefix each time.  Can we embed a variable into the jira.clone.prefix that would be the equivalent to the new parent task name?  If so, what would the variable be?  I can't figure this out from the documentation.

Wazza
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 23, 2016

Hi @Omar Mussa,

This isn't doable straight out of the box, you'd need to consider doing some development to set this up. I'm also not aware of any plugins on the market that make this possible.

Cheers,

Warren

Suggest an answer