How do I set up a Transition from one status to ONLY a specific status

David Kabzinski March 11, 2021

Essentially what I am looking to do is:

Any status can move to any status EXCEPT Selected for Development can ONLY move to Dev In Progress.

Currently my workflow is free flowing... all status can transition to any status. I need to restrict it so that once assigned to a developer, they have to move it to Dev in Progress before they can do ANYTHING else with it.

2 answers

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 11, 2021

please send an image of your workflow if you want specifics. Basically, edit the workflow and where you have "All" going into a status that you want specific "from-status-transitions", remove the All and connect your from-to transitions. You might find this of use - /what-are-jira-workflows 

0 votes
Anton Krandick March 12, 2021

Hi David, 

alternatively to Jack's Solution you could also take a look at the diagram view of the workflow (if its already active you might want to copy the workflow and work in the copied version as you cant edit an active WF), now you can just click on "add status" which will give you a menu with the options to either create a new transition or reuse an existing transition. 

In the "New Transition" section you can now select from which status the transition should go to what status, give it a name and description and select a screen. 

I hope this is helpful as well, 

Have a nice day

David Kabzinski March 14, 2021

Appreciate the feedback. 

Issue I am finding is that ALL statuses can transition to any status.

Which is fine. I am not trying to prevent any status from moving to any other (Backlog to Blocked, sure why not).

What is vexing me is saying, ok, ANY status can transition to Dev In Progress, BUT Selected for Development can ONLY move to Dev In Progress. 

At this point I think I am going to have to re-do the whole workflow and manually track every transition. Approx 25 Statuses.

Like Anton Krandick likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events