How do I see what marketplace extensions are installed if I am not an admin?

Nathan Hawk May 5, 2023

As a Jira user (non-admin), and an experienced DevOps consultant who has used many tools, how can I tell what options and/or marketplace extensions are currently enabled on my Jira instance?

Why?

1. I want a feature in Jira. I google it to see if it exists in Jira.  My experience is that usually it is a marketplace feature that costs more money, but how do I know if the extension is already installed?
  2. I see something in the Jira instance, and I don't know what it is but it looks interesting.  I can't find help on it, but after googling it looks like it may be provided by one or more marketplace extensions.  Dilemma: How much time should I waste reading their documentation without knowing whether or not the extension is installed?

Do I need to provide more reasons?

1 answer

2 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 5, 2023

Hello @Nathan Hawk 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

Some apps add something that may make it easy to identify, like a new option on the main menu bar. Others are more subtle, like adding functions to JQL syntax.

Currently the only way for a non-admin to find out what third party apps are installed on an on-premise Jira system they access is to contact the Jira Admins for the system and ask them.

Nathan Hawk May 8, 2023

How do I identify/contact a Jira Admin? Let me guess, currently the only way for a non-admin to find out who the Jira Admins are is to contact the Jira Admins for the system and ask them.  :)

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 8, 2023

Unfortunately there is not a way in Jira for a non-admin to get a list of Jira Admins.

I would recommend that you talk to the Project Admins for any project you work on. Since only Jira Admins can create projects, the Project Admins may be able to tell you who they contacted to get their projects created.

You could also check with the technical support team for your company. If they don't manage Jira themselves, they may be able to tell you who does.

Like Nathan Hawk likes this
Nathan Hawk May 11, 2023

This is a common productivity gap I see in tools.  System configurations should be accessible by default.  This creates unnecessary work and roadblocks.  Only secure the parts that should be secured.  Don't make everything a mystery to be unraveled.

Suggest an answer