How do I search the second value in a cascading select field?

This is the documentation I was able to find:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Advanced+Searching+Functions#AdvancedSearchingFunctions-cascadeOption()

In all the examples the parent value is specified. I want to search for a child value across all parent values. Specifically, I want to get a list of all records that have a any parent value but no child value.

Any ideas?

2 answers

1 accepted

@JohnBishop- Thanks anyway. I guess I am SOL for this...

1. Too many first level values and too much work for a query I only need to run once or twice.

2. No one available.

3. Too much trouble for a query I really only want to run once or twice.

It doesn't look like that is currently supported, so there doesn't seem to be an easy way to accomplish this.

I can think of 3 alternatives at the moment:

1. Build a jql query where you AND together a bunch of cascadeOptions (one for every possible first level value of the field).

2. Develop, or have someone else develop, a new searcher for the cascading select field type.

3. Create a hidden text field which will store some value, maybe "TRUE", if the cascading field on that issue has both values, and "FALSE" if it only has the parent issue. Then you can just query this hidden field. You'd probably need to use either a listener or a Scripted Field to keep everything up to date.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Julia Dillon
Posted Tuesday in Jira

Tell us how your team runs on Jira!

Hey Atlassian Community! Today we are launching a bunch of customer stories about the amazing work teams, like Dropbox and Twilio, are doing with Jira. You can check out the stories here. The thi...

720 views 1 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you