How do I restrict access to a particular issue type for a particular user?

Richard Gledhill July 17, 2014

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to do something extremely simple but the JIRA permissions system is like wading through treacle and I can't find how to do it.

I have a project with various issue types, one of which is "Question". I have an external user, and I simply want that user to only be able to access "Question" types.

That's it! How hard can that be? Apparently, very hard :)

I've set up the permissions so that this user (call him "External") has only got read access to all issue types, which is fine, but I cannot find how to make him only able to see "Question" types.

I'd be very grateful for a guide how to accomplish this seemlingly simple task :)

Thanks

Richard

3 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 17, 2014

Not hard, but impossible. Jira simply hasn't been structured that way. Permissions are done at project level, and that's the end of it.

There is one possible workaround - if you set up an issue security scheme, you can hide issues selectively by setting the security field. In your case, I'd be tempted to set the security field automatically on issue create with a post function (because you can have different workflows by issue type)

0 votes
Richard Gledhill July 24, 2014

Thanks for the suggestions Nic, Joe - for some reason I didn't get any notifications of any answers so apologies for not replying! Sounds it will just be easier to let them have access to everything for now then.

Richard

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 17, 2014

Issue level security was already a request when I started working with JIRA in 2007 so I don't expect them to ever implement it. I think they said it would require a major rewrite of the code. We get around it by putting issues like this in their own project. I don't know how many projects you have, but you could and a question project with components of the other project names and assign component leads so when they created an issue it would automatically be assigned to someone familiar with the project the question is about.

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question