It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How do I restrict access to a particular issue type for a particular user?

Richard Gledhill Jul 17, 2014

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to do something extremely simple but the JIRA permissions system is like wading through treacle and I can't find how to do it.

I have a project with various issue types, one of which is "Question". I have an external user, and I simply want that user to only be able to access "Question" types.

That's it! How hard can that be? Apparently, very hard :)

I've set up the permissions so that this user (call him "External") has only got read access to all issue types, which is fine, but I cannot find how to make him only able to see "Question" types.

I'd be very grateful for a guide how to accomplish this seemlingly simple task :)

Thanks

Richard

3 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

1 vote
Nic Brough [Adaptavist] Community Leader Jul 17, 2014

Not hard, but impossible. Jira simply hasn't been structured that way. Permissions are done at project level, and that's the end of it.

There is one possible workaround - if you set up an issue security scheme, you can hide issues selectively by setting the security field. In your case, I'd be tempted to set the security field automatically on issue create with a post function (because you can have different workflows by issue type)

0 votes
Joseph Pitt Community Leader Jul 17, 2014

Issue level security was already a request when I started working with JIRA in 2007 so I don't expect them to ever implement it. I think they said it would require a major rewrite of the code. We get around it by putting issues like this in their own project. I don't know how many projects you have, but you could and a question project with components of the other project names and assign component leads so when they created an issue it would automatically be assigned to someone familiar with the project the question is about.

0 votes
Richard Gledhill Jul 24, 2014

Thanks for the suggestions Nic, Joe - for some reason I didn't get any notifications of any answers so apologies for not replying! Sounds it will just be easier to let them have access to everything for now then.

Richard

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

Early Access: If you use Jenkins and Jira Software Cloud, you need to read this!

The Jira Software Cloud Team has been busy working on a simple, secure, and reliable way to integrate your build and deployment information from Jenkins with Jira Software Cloud. This means you don’t...

282 views 0 8
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you