How do I require work log screen to pop up when changing from In Progress to another status

Sara Nicholson May 10, 2022

I have created a screen called "Work Log" and added the time spent (work log) field to it along with a couple of other critical fields users need to update before moving a ticket from In Progress (they have been working on an issue) to any other status. How do I cause this screen to pop up if a ticket is on the "In Progress" status and another status is clicked? 

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Yasin HALICI May 10, 2022

Hi Sara,

• Edit Workflow that you use
  • Click transition from "In Progress" to other status 
  • Edit
  • Screen: chose the screen "Work Log"

ps. If more than one transition from "In Progress", you need to do all process one by one.

2 jira.PNG1 jira.PNG

Thank you for this!! I will give it a go!

Sara Nicholson May 12, 2022

Hi @Yasin HALICI

Are you using cloud or server? Here are the steps I took but when I move a ticket status from "In Progress" to "Awaiting Release Info" the system changes the status but I do not get the "Work Log" pop up screen I created. I am sure I am missing something, like perhaps I haven't associated the screen properly? Any insight you or @Dirk Ronsmans might have would be appreciated. :) (Yes we have a pretty complex workflow - we used a Jira Contractor to customize our workflow). 

1. I first went to Workflows and selected the workflow we use for our project and clicked edit. 
  2. I then clicked on the connector between "In Progress" and "Awaiting Release Info" and then I clicked on "Add Transition"
  3. I then added the "Log Work 1" Transition 2022-05-12_10h20_01.png
  4. This is what my Transition box looks like:2022-05-12_10h24_06.png
  5. Then I published my change. 
  6. I then went to an open ticket and put the ticket "In Progress"
  7. I then moved the status to "Awaiting Release Info"
  8. The system changed the status but no pop-up screen appeared. 
  9. I have associated my "Log Work" screen with the workflow that I use but I have to be missing something.... ?2022-05-12_10h28_25.png

Thanks for the help! 

Sara

Yasin HALICI May 12, 2022

Hi @Sara Nicholson 

I am using Server. All steps you've done are correct. It should work as my opinion.

Like Sara Nicholson likes this
Sara Nicholson May 13, 2022

Thanks, @Yasin HALICI , we are using server also although plan to go to cloud this year... I will keep troubleshooting. Maybe @Dirk Ronsmans will have some further insight. 

Regards,
Sara

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 16, 2022

Going by the screenshots it seems good.

I do see there is also an "All" arrow going in to awaiting release info so you basically have 2 transitions going there.

Are you sure you performed the right one? Might be easiest if you give them both a clear name to be sure.

Going by the screenshot you might need to do the "Log Work 1" transition.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 10, 2022

Hey @Sara Nicholson ,

To make it pop-up you'll need to add it as a Transition screen in your workflow

The below link explains how to do it for a comment (can't find any other example) but it explains how to add a screen to a workflow transition.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-add-a-comment-during-a-transition-779160682.html

Thanks @Dirk Ronsmans ! I will try this and thanks for the link!

Sara Nicholson May 13, 2022

@Dirk Ronsmans , I noticed in the linked instructions it said to create the screen but not add any fields to it, then link it to the workflow. "After that, leave the configuration page of the newly created screen as it is - without any fields added to it." Is it possible that because I configured the screen and then added it to the workflow, that is why it won't work? 

Thanks, 
Sara

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 16, 2022

Hey @Sara Nicholson ,

The "no fields" is only valid if you wish to have only a comment box popup (it's a specific usecase) since adding no fields will default to just the comments fields.

You can just add all the fields you need.

Like Sara Nicholson likes this

Suggest an answer