As Nikolay said first you have to make your workflow inactive.
Once you done that you can then go to the administration page for workflows. At the bottom there is a link "Inactive". Click that and it displays inactive workflows. You can then find your workflow there and click "Edit". Once it appears click on the pencil next to the name to edit it and the name AND the description can be edited. When a workflow is active you can only change its description when you edit it.
The part I have the issue with is the constant naming changes (v1, v2, v3, etc...). I'd rather all of my active workflows just be named what they are, without all of the added stuff. Figured out a workaround, if you don't mind the extra work to keep your database cleaner.
1. Create a copy of the workflow you want to modify.
2. Name the copy "Workflow Name... (Changes Pending)" <--or whatever unique identifier you want
3. Go to the Workflow Scheme
4. Add the (Changes Pending) workflow to the scheme. Since it's a copy, the current issues should map right over.
5. Open the original workflow, it should now be under the Inactive workflows.
6. Make your changes, save it.
7. Go back to the workflow scheme.
8. Add the modified original workflow back to the project.
10. Now you'll have to associate issues to their new workflow.
12. If testing is good, remove the (Changes In Progress) workflow to keep your DB clean.
You can edit a workflow, and JIRA would make a draft of that workflow during editing then you can publish it to be used in your JIRA project, here's a document to help you out:
Hope that helps.
sorry but that doesn't answer the question.
I have plenty of experience of building workflows. I simply want to rename an existing workflow and I believe that the only way you can do it is copy the workflow and put that into the workflow scheme instead of the original. A brutal solution
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find an event
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.Host an event