How do I remove user from my account?

I am trying to remove user (he has been laid off) from my Jira account. I am trying to remove him from the system, because I would like to create new users and I already have 10 users that I am paying for. When I am trying to delete existing user I get the following message:

Cannot delete user. 'xxxx' has associations in JIRA that cannot be removed automatically.

Change the following and try again:

• Project Lead: 1 project
  • Reported Issue: 50 issues
  • Issue Comments: 70
  • Assigned Issue: 32 issues

Project lead of these projects: Scrum Project

Does it mean that I have to remove all issue comments created by this user in order to remove him from the system? That sounds insane.

Thank you for your early reply.

3 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.
Joe Pitt Community Champion Jan 08, 2014

If you remove them from the groups that can logon, jira-users by default, they won't count against the license. If they are laid off they shouldn't be a project lead unless the project is completed and not being updated. Also you should reassign all issues that aren't closed to an active users. Leaving them as reporter and their comments gives historical information about the issue.

Hi Wojcieh,

You can deactivate the user which will revoke all the user access to JIRA. Deactivated user will not be counted in the user license.

Thank you for your help.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

139 views 2 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you