How do I remove strike-through's on new issues?

Danica Wishkovich May 16, 2018

Out of nowhere, all my new issues are appearing with Strikethroughs. Can anybody provide a step-by-step instruction how to definitively remove these? 

1 answer

1 vote
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 16, 2018

Hi @Danica Wishkovich,

issues are displayed with strikethrough characters, if they have a resolution. 

It's intended behaviour.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 16, 2018

I think, you set a resolution, when you create an issue. That's why new issues appear with strikethrough characters

Thank you for your super fast reply.

This must have been done inadvertently as I haven't changed any settings in almost a year, but I noticed this started happening about 2 weeks ago.

Unfortunately, this means I don't know where or what a resolution is or how to change it back to whatever it was before. Do you know where I would find the resolution and what it should be in order to remove these strike throughs? Many thanks! 

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 16, 2018

Resolution is a field in your issue:

image.png

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 16, 2018

Look at your creation screen. If you have set the resolution on this screen, it will automically be set to something else than "Unresolved".

Remove it from there. You should set a resolution only, if an issue is closed (or set it to unresolved, if an issue is reopened).

I'm really sorry, but I don't understand the instruction. I never set a resolution when creating a task. Resolution isn't (and never has been) one of the fields in the task creation/edit screens. So I still don't understand where or why this is happening and how to fix it. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 16, 2018

There are two ways to set a resolution in plain Jira - with a post-function or by simply putting it on a screen that a user goes through (Create, edit or transition).  The user will accidentally set the resolution if the field is on Create or Edit, or you've got it on a transition screen on the wrong transition.

If this is not the case for you, then you have a an add-on post-function or listener, or possibly an external REST call setting the value for you.

I just added Resolution field to my edit page, to allow me to update this going forward (as it's not something I've ever used but appears to suddenly have become activated for some reason).

I'm presented with this pre-set list of Resolution options — none of which appear to be relevant to my needs.

• Done
  • Won't Do
  • Duplicate
  • Cannot Reproduce

How can I get an appropriate selection list which will include an option that will stop the automatic strike throughs? 

Also, how do I get rid of any add-on post-function or external REST call setting — again none of these things were activated by me and I'm the only one who can update the settings. 

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 16, 2018

Have you checked, whether you have the resolution field on your create screen?

You can find postfunctions on your workflow transitions. Check your workflow for the following:

• Are you using a workflow screen on an transition which contains the resolution field?
  • Do you set the resolution in a workflow transition with a post-function?

You have to set the resolution to unresolved, if you want to clear it, but I think, you can't set the resolution in the edit screen to unresolved. You have to create a workflow transition with a post-function that will clear the resolution field.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 16, 2018

No, remove it from the edit screen immediately, you must never do that.  That is one of the causes of the problem, and it is going to make it worse.

The problem is that you have configured something that is setting the resolution.  If you've not added resolution to a screen, configured a post-function or 3rd party or external thing to do it, the only other thing I can think of is a poorly configured "simplified workflow"

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 16, 2018

To help you find it, have a look at the history of an issue that has been affected.

Exactly when was the resolution set?  If the history does not mention resolution, then I can guarantee you it was set on create, so the field is on screen, or you have a post function doing it.

For a manual check, click create and check the resolution is not on the screen at all.  Then try a full issue edit (not the in-line) and check that screen.  Edit your workflow and look for post-functions that might set the resolution.  Check the Admin -> Listeners section for it.

Ok removed resolution — I only put it there in order to be able to change the value which is what I keep reading must be done. But prior to adding it, I did do a full issue edit and Resolution was definitely not on the issue screen. So for sure, I was never adding resolution to any issues. However, I do see that resolution has been getting added to issues automatically as "done" for some reason, even without that field being available. No idea why that would have suddenly started happening as on older tasks it's not there. 

Maybe my "simplified workflow" isn't great, so will look into it; but again, it's the same as it's always been (more than a year), so don't understand why it would suddenly cause problems. 

I'm not sure what post-functions I would be looking for in Admin -> Listeners section?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 16, 2018

Putting the resolution on the edit screen allows you to change it, but not clear it out.  (And then has the side effect of causing this problem in the first place, as a user using edit will then be setting it as well)

Can you take a look at the history of a really recent issue that has the problem?  If there is no mention of resolution in the history, then we know it is happening on "create".  If you have a record that says "Resolution <nothing> -> <any value>", then we need to look at the action that caused that.

The "simplified workflow" only exists for boards where an admin has clicked the "simplify" flag.  The way a user could break this for you is as a project admin which the simplified workflow enables workflow edits for.  When they edit the workflow, they get a flag that says "set resolution on these status".  But in the background, that is done with post-functions.

Post-functions exist in your workflow.  Listeners are separate, living outside the workflow.

Ok, well the Resolution was on the edit screen for all of 5 minutes, so I think it shouldn't have caused any further issues. I looked at the history, and indeed, all new issues are being created with a Resolution of "Done" – so what is causing that and how do we get it to stop?

"Older" issues from as recent as early May don't show a Resolution of "Done" when created, and in fact don't show a resolution anywhere at all on any part of the history

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 16, 2018

It's almost certainly going to be one of the two I've named as the prime culprits:

• Remove the resolution field from the create screen
  • Remove any workflow post-functions on the create transition that set resolution

If it's not those two, then check the listeners section in the admin screens for anything that might be doing it too.  (Most listeners describe themselves well, with names like "Send mail for action" or "Update something")

How does one "remove workflow post-functions on the create transition that set the resolution? " I'm sorry, but I don't even know what that means as it's not something that I ever set up in the first place. I'm not a power user, just managing a single project with 1-2 developers

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 16, 2018

Oh, I am sorry.  You said you had set this all up, so I assumed you were a Jira admin.

To edit a workflow, there are a number of criteria you might match

• A simplified workflow.  Project admins can edit these via the boards, after a Jira admin has set the flag to allow it.  They can add/remove columns and status via the board configuration.  There is a tick-box under each column that says "mark as resolved".  If that tick-box is set in the first column on your board, that would be the problem.
  • In the most recent versions of Jira, a Jira admin can give a project admin "delegated rights".  This allows you some editing of the workflow from the project.  But my understanding is it won't let you touch post-functions or change the way resolution works.
  • You are a Jira or Jira-System admin

For your case, you are going to need to ask your Jira admins why the resolution is being set.  If it is not on the create screen, then there must be a post-function, listener or 3rd party tweak/add-on/hack/remote setting it.

Suggest an answer