How do I reference custom fields in a ScriptRunner simple scripted validator?

Jordan Klein November 17, 2017

In a JIRA workflow, I would only like to a require a Custom Field called "Changelist #" when the Resolution Type of the issue is "Fixed"

I've tried using the following snippet as my condition for my ScriptRunner simple scripted validator, but it is not functioning as intended:

issue.resolutionObject?.name != "Fixed" || cfValues['Changelist #']

I'm using this documentation, but have a feeling I'm not referencing my Custom Field correctly.

https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/latest/jira/recipes/workflow/validators/simple-scripted-validators.html

Any help is appreciated!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
RianS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 17, 2017

The logic seems valid. Breaking it down:

You want the entire statement to be true in these two cases, where the resolution ISN'T "Fixed" OR where the resolution IS "Fixed" AND "Changelist #" is populated. So the code for that would be

issue.resolutionObject?name != "Fixed" || (issue.resolutionObject?name == "Fixed" && cfValues['Changelist #'] != "")

which reduces down to what you have above. It uses what the script runner documentation you linked to references as "Groovy Truth"

However, if you wanted to see if someone actually enters something in the "Changelist #" field during the actual transition, you have to do something additional to check for that. Something involving using the issue and originalIssue objects along with getting the custom field value in a different way.

Joshua Yamdogo @ Adaptavist
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 17, 2017

For Simple Scripted Conditions, cfValues['Field Name'] will check whether someone enters something in the field during the transition. It gets the contents of the field that is currently present on the form. 

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 17, 2017

Hi Jordan,

Your condition looks fine, but could you clarify your workflow? Does the issue already have a resolution of "Fixed" and you want to add a validator for when someone changes the resolution to something else FROM "Fixed"? Or this is validator for when someone changes the resolution from something TO "Fixed"? I assume it's the latter.

cfValues['Field Name'] should be the correct way to check whether a field is empty or not. Have you remembered to publish your workflow after adding this validator? Have you ensured that the field 'Changelist #' is actually completely empty?

Jordan Klein November 19, 2017

It turns out that the name of the "Fixed" resolution differed slightly between my development project for prototyping workflows and actual project. The statement I wrote works correctly. Thank you for the help!

Rising Star
Rising Star
November 20, 2017

Hi Jordan,

That sounds frustrating! Glad to hear you have it working now.

Thanks for using ScriptRunner!

Suggest an answer