How do I recreate a JIRA Agile SCRUM Backlog using only JQL?

Some of the organizationally senior members of my company want to see the current sprints and backlogs of their various teams. How can I recreate an exact match for a backlog using only JQL?

I followed the query on the How to find issues in backlog using JQL with JIRA Agile? thread, but it returned a different number of results (close, though). Also, the ordering of the issues looked nothing like the backlog as seen from the Plan view of the SCRUM board. What am I missing?

4 answers

1 accepted

It may need a few tweaks, but it is working for me here:

project = KEY and (Sprint not in (openSprints()) or Sprint is EMPTY) and issuetype not in (Epic, subTaskIssueTypes()) and status not in (Closed, Done, Complete) order by Rank asc

Works perfectly! I had to edit the "status not in" section because we (before my time!) have had quite a bit of status fragmentation, but that was trivial. Thanks!

0 vote

Hi Nik, did you try view backlog using Board Filter instead ? I believe it would be the same results as your Scrum board.

Thanks, John. It's not matching, which is why this is so confusing. I used the exact same filter.

Logically there must be some information added to the board filter when displayed in the Plan section of a SCRUM boad. Otherwise, completed issues would display indefinitely like they do when running the straight JQL in the Search for Issues screen. Something causes the SCRUM Board to filter these out automatically, without being told.

0 vote

If you use script runner it will add some icons to the planning board, the highlighted ones will take you directly to the issue navigator with the query that represents the backlog or sprint issues, or those issues added after the start of the sprint:

Jamie, this plug in worked, but didn't work. For example, the Board Backlog would indicate, say, 260 issues are in the Backlog, and clicking on that icon would take me to an issue navigator screen that showed, say, 5,206 issues. There is something more going on that creates that backlog that your plug-in's issue navigator did not account for. 260 <> 5,206. This is with JIRA 6.3.11, by the way.

Hrm... if you look at some of the 5206 issues, are there any that categorically should not be present? I'm not sure if the backlog in the board is limited in some way. The navigator will show subtasks whereas the board does not, but that probably doesn't explain the discrepancy.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,317 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot