How do I re-order epics?

Ian Kenneth Court November 6, 2018

I have created a series of Epics and JIRA has sorted them in alphabetical order, however I want to move the epics into a different order.

Anybody know how I can do this?

Thanks,

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Max Cascone July 8, 2020

Create a new Kanban board in your project, using an existing filter that only grabs the Epics you are interested in. (I guess you could create a new filter too.) You'll then get a nice kanbanny view of all the filter's contents, and you can drag-drop in there.

David Deriso October 31, 2023

On the epic-centric Kanban board, set the Ranking for the Filter to "Using Rank"

5 votes
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 6, 2018

Hi @Ian Kenneth Court,

You can adjust the order directly by dragging up and down.

Cool, thanks Ollie :)

Hernan Alvarez January 13, 2020

Works!

Like Ollie Guan likes this
MaryAnn Murphy May 21, 2021

@Ollie Guan Hi Ollie, I have one board that this is not working on. When I drag and drop it seems to work, but when I refresh it goes back to original order. Only one board is doing this for me. Would you happen to have an idea as to why? Thanks

Janie Smith July 13, 2021

I am having the same problem and it's driving me nuts. 

Anyone know a fix that doesn't involve creating a new board? This is my team's backlog— I need to make this view work!

Like kofi.adjei-twum likes this
Steven Adams October 4, 2021

Go to configure your board.

On the General tab near the bottom select "Use Ranking".

Now your epics should stay when you move them in the quick filter.

2 votes
David Walley December 20, 2022

I was able to drap and drop on the ROADMAP screen, and the changes seem to be carried over to the BOARD.

1 vote
Steven Adams December 20, 2022

Same as my Oct 4th 2021 post:

Go to configure your board.

On the General tab near the bottom select "Use Ranking".

Now your epics should stay when you move them in the quick filter.

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2018

It's not clear where you're seeing this. Is this on a Jira Kanban/Scrum board?

It's in a JIRA board 

Max Cascone July 8, 2020

Create a new Kanban board in your project, using an existing filter that only grabs the Epics you are interested in. You'll then get a nice kanbanny view of all the filter's contents, and you can drag-drop in there.

Suggest an answer