How do I query history of a custom select field

Sara Lam July 28, 2013

Hello,

We have a custom select field "Severity Level". We would like to run a filter to see which issue was in Level 1. These issues could have been changed to other levels. It seems only the system fields like "Priority Level" are able to search "Was in". Is it possible for custom select fields and how?

Thank you,

Sara

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jeison
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 29, 2013

Saralam, I've just filed an improvement request at https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-34103 to have the ability of using those operators in custom fields as well. Make sure you vote for it to increase its visibility, and feel free to add comments to it.

Hope it helps!

3 votes
James Strangeway
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 28, 2013

I don't think you can do a history search on custom fields.

Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 28, 2013

Correct - the WAS/WAS IN/WAS NOT IN/WAS NOT operators only work with Assignee, Fix Version, Priority, Reporter, Resolution and Status fields only. If there's another way it would have to be through a plugin or custom code.

Sara Lam July 29, 2013

Thank you for your help. It's too bad we can't search history. It records everything but not searchable. Probably it's better to modify the selection list in "Priority" than creating a custom field in my case.

Like Mike Joyce likes this
2 votes
Garth Leavey October 26, 2017

I had to get information on the last update of a customfield.  I was hoping there was a builtin JQL query that would work but unfortunately there is not (at this time). To get the history of a custom field I created a SIL Script Custom Field with the following script to get the last update made to a date field:

JFieldChange[] changes = getFieldChanges(key, "customfield_10000");

JFieldChange latestChange = changes[0];
date newest = latestChange.changeDate;

for (JFieldChange change in changes) {
if (change.changeDate > newest) {
latestChange = change;
}
}
return latestChange;

0 votes
Joe F. Lee August 29, 2013

This issue is also important to us as we need to be able to run a history search on certain custom fields, which Jira currently does not support.

Suggest an answer