How do I prevent a field from being edited after an issue has reached a particular workflow status?

Example: When an issue is moved to the 'backlog' status, I want to prevent the description field from being edited ever again, regardless of its new status, by a particular role (such as a client).

2 answers

1 accepted

Hi Mercedes

You can use the jira.issue.editable flag to enable/disable editing of issues.

You can refer to this link: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Allow+editing+of+Closed+Issues as a guideline

Thanks

This appears to freeze the entire issue. I only want to lock one field (description). Is there a way to achieve this?

If you use Hashimis solution you could add to this Backlog status a transition called "Edit" which goes back to Backlog. Add a screen to this transition with all but description field. So for a user it looks like the Edit button has moved and the user won't be able to edit the description when he clicks the "Edit" transition.

That's a creative approach. Would they still be able to edit the description in the full issue view?

No, in that Backlog status editing is blocked, you would only be able to use that "Edit" transition (whithout description). In all other status (where jira.issue.editable is enabled) you would be able to edit all fields.

While we use similiar approach in some projects you should be aware that it has some "side-effects". There is no more inline edit capability for issues in Backlog status and also bulk edit is not available for issues in Backlog status.

Thanks for your insights Hashimi, Udo and Clemens. While not an ideal solution, it would appear this is the answer to my question (at least for now!).

Glad we could help. One more point. In order to have your notifications behave as normal you would need to fire the issue update event in that "Edit" transition.

Hi Mercedes,

The Live Fields feature from JJupin plugin can disable a field(i.e. make it read-only). Check it out: http://confluence.kepler-rominfo.com/display/JJUP30/lfDisable , we have a couple of tutorials and recipes here too: http://confluence.kepler-rominfo.com/display/TR/Tutorials . All of them are powered by our Simple Issue Language (SIL).

Best regards,

Silviu

JJupin is not available for JIRA Cloud!

Oh, I haven't noticed that. I'm sorry! However, I will keep the answer, maybe someone with a server instance may need it.

Thanks for taking time to comment :)

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,188 views 13 19
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot