How do I post linked issues to Slack using Automation for Jira?

Jenni Järvinen May 18, 2021

Hello,

We use Jira for test management (with the XRAY plugin). We are now looking into taking advantage of Automation for Jira to make data more available in Slack.

Request from the team has been that whenever a ticket type "Test Execution" is transitioned to "Resolved", the automation rule would send a message to the Slack channel, and it would list the linked issues in that ticket.

I understand that the trigger for this event would be that ticket matching the correct type is transitioned to a certain status, but how would you add the listing of the linked tickets to the automation rule?

I've played around with the message customisation a bit, but this is new to me.

BR,

Jenni

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 19, 2021

Hi Jenni,

You can use the issuelinks smart value to get a list of linked issues to include in the Slack message. In this other Community answer, I show how this works and what it looks like in Slack. That's a good thread to read around the context and some additional customization you can do.

In short though, links work in both directions so you'll want to include both incoming and outgoing in your message. Here's a sample message body to use in the Slack notification action:

Test execution {{issue.key}} has been resolved!
Links:
{{issue.issuelinks.inwardIssue}}
{{issue.issuelinks.outwardIssue}}

Hope that helps! Happy to answer more questions.

Cheers,
Daniel | Atlassian Support

Suggest an answer