How do I move issues from one board to another

I want to create a new board and move issues from an existing board

1 answer

1 vote

You don't.

Boards are views of lists of issues, they don't hold any issues really. To "move" an issue, you change the boards. You should create your new board, and make sure it includes the issues you want to "move". Then go to the existing board, and change the filter so it no longer includes the issues.

I believe the question is how do you ensure the issues you created on a wrong board appears on your new board without manual rewrite of same issue? or how do you export issues from a wrong board to the right board without duplication of writing task?

It's the same answer. Issues are not "moving", you need to look at the rules that cause issues to be included in a board.

@Timothy Woodandessentia.essien@monsanto.com I'm have the same question, but in an effort to understand my own plight, let me restate @Nic Brough [Adaptavist]'s reply:

Boards are basically filters that exist within a project.  So the short answer (I believe) is that issues can only be "moved" from one project to another.  Even when you select an issue to Move, and you have the option to move it from one project to the same project, note that you are not given the boards within that project as destinations for the move.  Again, because the Move function only takes place at the project level.  If you want an issue to not appear on one board (say, within Project A) and you want it to appear on a different board (again, within Project A), then you need to change the filter queries that govern those two boards.  One filter (i.e. board) will effectively exclude the issue in question, and the other filter (i.e. board) will include, or look for, that issue to present visually.  Giving the appearance that the issue has moved.  But, you will notice that even after changing boards within a project, the issue still exists in the SINGLE backlog that the project has...so, again, it didn't really "move".

Hopefully that helps clarify.  Now, I need to figure out filters.  :-0

It's not quite that.  Boards do not "exist within a project"

They are separate entities (although the more recent changes make a strong UI link between a project and a board).  You can have many boards that draw issues from one or many projects.

Boards are also not a filter.  They use a standard filter (based on the issue search) behind them which determines which issues appear on the board.  These are usually created as a default "Project = X", but they don't have to be, they could be (and often are) changed to other filters.  For example "Project in (X, Y, Z) and issuetype = Bug" would give you a board with bugs from three different projects.

You are right about the exclusive filters, that's a good way to put it, and the point about an issue appearing to "move" when it's really "stop appearing here, start appearing there" is spot on.

Thanks @Nic Brough [Adaptavist]...that actually helps me in my efforts.  Cheers!

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Sep 18, 2018 in Jira

What modern development practices are at the heart of how your team delivers software?

Hey Community mates! Claire here from the Software Product Marketing team. We all know software development changes rapidly, and it's often tough to keep up. But from our research, we've found the h...

20,744 views 2 7
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you