How do I move a Jira issue to a different epic, or remove from epic altogether?

Robert Meador June 4, 2019

Using the "new" (sigh) interface. There used to be an "Edit" link where I could edit everything to do with an issue, including changing the Epic Link (to another epic or no epic).

I do not find that link any more. Is it hidden?

If not, how do I move an issue out of an epic now?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 4, 2019

the new issue view does away w/ having to go to another screen to edit. in the new view you should be able to edit any displayed field directly. If your field is not shown then you would need to add it to the screen, if it is available. 

If I go to one of my stories that is not currently attached to an epic and I click the "show more" link then I see Epic Link none. I can then edit and change none to the desired Epic Name. If it isn't there then you need to go to project settings > Issue Layout and edit the layout associated w/ story. If it isn't listed then you need to ensure Epic Link is on the screen config.

Also, if I'm working in the world of Epics I have the Epic Name field on the create so that I can optionally add the Epic at that time if I want. Of course I can always add a story to an epic after the fact.

Works great if an item is not already in an epic.

However once it is, clicking on the Epic Link just takes me to the epic. No option to change or remove.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 4, 2019

?? here is what i get...

epic link.jpg

I click to the right, not on the link, and backspace select a new epic.

Like James Perrin likes this

Ah. Not intuitive. But works. But not intuitive. Does that surprise me? No it does not.

Like Mike Masino likes this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 4, 2019

@Robert Meador , if you have some thoughts on how it might be improved you might want to share that with Atlassian thru the feedback link. I know they welcome the input. At least that has been my experience.

Oh yes, they are hearing it.

Robert Meador June 6, 2019

What I told them was, add an icon or "edit" or something in that gray area when you hover it, to make it clear that there is some interaction available.

Usability 101 :)

Like # people like this
Jerry Fiagbe May 29, 2021

Holy guacamole, I was on this for an hour, before this thread! 

I didn't realise all I had to do was click to the side of the Epic link, for the options to move to different epics was displayed.

I agree with OP, simply a small edit icon to the right , or even the word "change" to the right would resolve this.

Like N_ Vania Muriuki likes this
N_ Vania Muriuki September 15, 2021

Literally spent an hour before finding this. Def not intuitive

thank you!

gmorton_no_SAML December 22, 2022

Still like this.  Thanks for the thread.

James Perrin January 25, 2023

This is a total UI fail. If you have the RHS menu squished down you've only got a thin grey "focus" highlight to click on. Use the drag handle to make the menu wider and you can then click to the right of the Epic link but is still clear as mud.

Ian Brown May 12, 2023

Just had the same issue - especially hard to find when you have a long epic name and no whitespace to click in.

Jira = Non-intuitive interface

New synonym for the thesaurus. Well, not new. it's been pretty non-intuitive forever, just never seems to improve.

1 vote
Dave Ireland June 4, 2019

same issue here - no clue how to add my new story to an epic.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 22, 2022

Assuming that you create an issue not from within the Epic itself then...

If you are using TMP...

E27CCF01-333C-4F41-A912-F8C53F4B85B8.jpeg

if in a CMP project...

3D8C7777-592C-477E-A4AB-9552D3C93D43.jpeg

Suggest an answer